40 CFR 64.6 - Approval of monitoring.
(a) Based on an application that includes the information submitted in accordance with § 64.5, the permitting authority shall act to approve the monitoring submitted by the owner or operator by confirming that the monitoring satisfies the requirements in § 64.3.
(b) In approving monitoring under this section, the permitting authority may condition the approval on the owner or operator collecting additional data on the indicators to be monitored for a pollutant-specific emissions unit, including required compliance or performance testing, to confirm the ability of the monitoring to provide data that are sufficient to satisfy the requirements of this part and to confirm the appropriateness of an indicator range(s) or designated condition(s) proposed to satisfy § 64.3(a)(2) and (3) and consistent with the schedule in § 64.4(e).
(c) If the permitting authority approves the proposed monitoring, the permitting authority shall establish one or more permit terms or conditions that specify the required monitoring in accordance with § 70.6(a)(3)(i) of this chapter. At a minimum, the permit shall specify:
(i) The indicator(s) to be monitored (such as temperature, pressure drop, emissions, or similar parameter);
(ii) The means or device to be used to measure the indicator(s) (such as temperature measurement device, visual observation, or CEMS); and
(iii) The performance requirements established to satisfy § 64.3(b) or (d), as applicable.
(2) The means by which the owner or operator will define an exceedance or excursion for purposes of responding to and reporting exceedances or excursions under §§ 64.7 and 64.8 of this part. The permit shall specify the level at which an excursion or exceedance will be deemed to occur, including the appropriate averaging period associated with such exceedance or excursion. For defining an excursion from an indicator range or designated condition, the permit may either include the specific value(s) or condition(s) at which an excursion shall occur, or the specific procedures that will be used to establish that value or condition. If the latter, the permit shall specify appropriate notice procedures for the owner or operator to notify the permitting authority upon any establishment or reestablishment of the value.
(3) The obligation to conduct the monitoring and fulfill the other obligations specified in §§ 64.7 through 64.9 of this part.
(4) If appropriate, a minimum data availability requirement for valid data collection for each averaging period, and, if appropriate, a minimum data availability requirement for the averaging periods in a reporting period.
(d) If the monitoring proposed by the owner or operator requires installation, testing or final verification of operational status, the part 70 or 71 permit shall include an enforceable schedule with appropriate milestones for completing such installation, testing, or final verification consistent with the requirements in § 64.4(e).
(1) The draft or final permit shall include, at a minimum, monitoring that satisfies the requirements of § 70.6(a)(3)(i)(B);
(2) The permitting authority shall include in the draft or final permit a compliance schedule for the source owner to submit monitoring that satisfies §§ 64.3 and 64.4, but in no case shall the owner or operator submit revised monitoring more than 180 days from the date of issuance of the draft or final permit; and
(3) If the source owner or operator does not submit the monitoring in accordance with the compliance schedule as required in paragraph (e)(2) of this section or if the permitting authority disapproves the monitoring submitted, the source owner or operator shall be deemed not in compliance with part 64, unless the source owner or operator successfully challenges the disapproval.
Title 40 published on 2014-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.