16 U.S. Code § 760aa - Findings and purposes
prev | next
Congress finds the following:
(1) The National Fish Hatchery System (in this chapter referred to as the “System”)—
(A) consists of more than 60 hatcheries, seven fish technology centers, 9 fish health centers, and other fisheries program offices;
(B) plays an integral role in the recovery of more than 50 threatened species and endangered species and the restoration of over 100 native species;
(C) provides healthy fish populations that support recreational fishing opportunities, many of which are related to Federal water control structures; and
(2) The System faces many challenges, including aging facilities, some of which date back to the late 1800s, and maintenance of intensive infrastructures such as wells, pumps, valves, pipes, filters, heaters, chillers, and treatment systems that must keep clean water moving 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
(3) By encouraging volunteer programs and donations and fostering non-Federal partnerships with hatchery facilities, Federal funding for the hatcheries can be supplemented.
The purposes of this chapter are the following:
(1) To encourage the use of volunteers to assist the United States Fish and Wildlife Service in the management of hatcheries within the System.
(2) To facilitate partnerships between the System and non-Federal entities to promote public awareness of the resources of the System and public participation in the conservation of those resources.
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.