22 U.S. Code § 7654 - Pilot program of assistance for children and families affected by HIV/AIDS
(a) In general
The President, acting through the United States Agency for International Development, should establish a program of assistance that would demonstrate the feasibility of the provision of care and treatment to orphans and other children and young people affected by HIV/AIDS in foreign countries.
(b) Program requirements
The program should—
(1) build upon and be integrated into programs administered as of May 27, 2003, by the relevant executive branch agencies for children affected by HIV/AIDS;
(2) work in conjunction with indigenous community-based programs and activities, particularly those that offer proven services for children;
(3) reduce the stigma of HIV/AIDS to encourage vulnerable children infected with HIV or living with AIDS and their family members and caregivers to avail themselves of voluntary counseling and testing, and related programs, including treatments;
(4) ensure the importance of inheritance rights of women, particularly women in African countries, due to the exponential growth in the number of young widows, orphaned girls, and grandmothers becoming heads of households as a result of the HIV/AIDS pandemic;
(5) provide, in conjunction with other relevant executive branch agencies, the range of services for the care and treatment, including the provision of antiretrovirals and other necessary pharmaceuticals, of children, parents, and caregivers infected with HIV or living with AIDS;
(7) work with parents, caregivers, and community-based organizations to provide children with educational opportunities; and
Not later than 18 months after May 27, 2003, the President should submit a report on the implementation of this section to the appropriate congressional committees. Such report should include a description of activities undertaken to carry out subsection (b)(4).
(d) Authorization of appropriations
(1) In general
In addition to amounts otherwise available for such purpose, there are authorized to be appropriated to the President, from amounts authorized to be appropriated under section 7671 of this title, such sums as may be necessary for each of the fiscal years 2004 through 2008 to carry out the program. A significant percentage of the amount appropriated pursuant to the authorization of appropriations under the preceding sentence for a fiscal year should be made available to carry out subsection (b)(4).