42 U.S. Code § 12876 - Definitions
For purposes of this part:
(1) The term “applicant” means the following entities that may represent the tenants of the housing:
(A) A resident management corporation established in accordance with the requirements of the Secretary under section 1437r of this title.
(2) The term “eligible family” means a family or individual—
(A) who is a tenant of the eligible property on the date the Secretary approves an implementation grant; or
(3) The term “eligible property” means a multifamily rental property, containing 5 or more units, that is—
(C) determined by the Secretary to have serious physical or financial problems under the terms of an insurance or loan program administered by the Secretary; or
(D) owned or held by the Secretary of Agriculture, the Resolution Trust Corporation, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of Transportation, the General Services Administration, any other Federal agency, or a State or local government or an agency or instrumentality thereof.
(5) The term “Indian housing authority” has the meaning given such term in section 1437a (b)(11)  of this title.
(6) The term “low-income family” has the meaning given such term in section 1437a (b)(2) of this title.
(7) The term “public housing agency” has the meaning given such term in section 1437a (b)(6) of this title.
(8) The term “recipient” means an applicant approved to receive a grant under this title  or such other entity specified in the approved application that will assume the obligations of the recipient under this part.
(9) The term “resident council” means any incorporated nonprofit organization or association that—
 See References in Text note below.
Source(Pub. L. 101–625, title IV, § 426,Nov. 28, 1990, 104 Stat. 4170; Pub. L. 102–550, title I, § 181(d), (e), (h),Oct. 28, 1992, 106 Stat. 3735, 3736.)
References in Text
Section 1437a (b)(11) of this title, referred to in par. (5), was repealed by Pub. L. 104–330, title V, § 501(b)(1)(D),Oct. 26, 1996, 110 Stat. 4041, and a new section 1437a (b)(11), defining “public housing agency plan”, was enacted by Pub. L. 105–276, title V, § 506(4),Oct. 21, 1998, 112 Stat. 2524.
This title, referred to in par. (8), means title IV of Pub. L. 101–625, known as the Homeownership and Opportunity Through HOPE Act, and probably should have been “this subtitle”, meaning subtitle B (§§ 421–431) of title IV of Pub. L. 101–625, which is classified principally to this part. For complete classification of title IV of Pub. L. 101–625to the Code, see Short Title note set out under section 1437aaa of this title and Tables.
1992—Par. (1)(G). Pub. L. 102–550, § 181(d), added subpar. (G).
Par. (3)(D). Pub. L. 102–550, § 181(e), (h), inserted “the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of Transportation, the General Services Administration, any other Federal agency,” after “Corporation,” and “or an agency or instrumentality thereof” before period at end.