(a) In General.— The Director shall establish and consult with an advisory council on transportation statistics.
(b) Function.— The advisory council established under this section shall advise the Director on—
(1)the quality, reliability, consistency, objectivity, and relevance of transportation statistics and analyses collected, supported, or disseminated by the Bureau and the Department; and
(2)methods to encourage cooperation and interoperability of transportation data collected by the Bureau, the operating administrations of the Department, States, local governments, metropolitan planning organizations, and private sector entities.
(1) In general.— The advisory council shall be composed of not fewer than 9 and not more than 11 members appointed by the Director.
(2) Selection.— In selecting members for the advisory council, the Director shall appoint individuals who—
(A)are not officers or employees of the United States;
(B)possess expertise in—
(i)transportation data collection, analysis, or application;
(iii)transportation safety; and
(C)represent a cross section of transportation stakeholders, to the greatest extent possible.
(d) Terms of Appointment.—
(1) In general.— Except as provided in paragraph (2), members of the advisory council shall be appointed to staggered terms not to exceed 3 years.
(2) Additional terms.— A member may be renominated for 1 additional 3-year term.
(3) Current members.— A member serving on an advisory council on transportation statistics on the day before the date of enactment of the Transportation Research and Innovative Technology Act of 2012 shall serve until the end of the appointed term of the member.
(e) Applicability of Federal Advisory Committee Act.— The Federal Advisory Committee Act (5 U.S.C. App.) shall apply to the advisory council established under this section, except that section 14 of that Act shall not apply.
The date of enactment of the Transportation Research and Innovative Technology Act of 2012, referred to in subsec. (d)(3), is the date of enactment of div. E of Pub. L. 112–141, which was approved July 6, 2012.
The Federal Advisory Committee Act, referred to in subsec. (e), is Pub. L. 92–463, Oct. 6, 1972, 86 Stat. 770, which is set out in the Appendix to Title 5, Government Organization and Employees.
Section effective Oct. 1, 2012, see section 3(a) ofPub. L. 112–141, set out as an Effective and Termination Dates of 2012 Amendment note under section
101 of Title
Advisory Council on Transportation Statistics
Pub. L. 102–240, title VI, § 6007,Dec. 18, 1991, 105 Stat. 2174, required the Director to establish an Advisory Council on Transportation Statistics composed of not more than 6 members to provide advice on the quality of transportation statistics and analysis.
The table below lists the classification updates, since Jan. 3, 2012, for this section. Updates to a broader range of sections may be found at the update page for containing chapter, title, etc.
The most recent Classification Table update that we have noticed was Tuesday, August 13, 2013
An empty table indicates that we see no relevant changes listed in the classification tables. If you suspect that our system may be missing something, please double-check with the Office of the Law Revision Counsel.