7 U.S. Code § 4402 - Definitions
As used in this chapter—
(1) The term “agreement” means the Agreement on the International Carriage of Perishable Foodstuffs and on the Special Equipment to be Used for Such Carriage, and the annexes and the appendices thereto, done at Geneva, September 1, 1970, under the auspices of the Economic Commission for Europe of the United Nations.
(2) The term “contracting party” means any country that is eligible under article 9 of the agreement and that has complied with the terms of such article.
(3) The term “equipment” means the special transport equipment that complies with the definitions and standards set forth in annex 1 to the agreement, including, but not limited to, railway cars, trucks, trailers, semitrailers, and intermodal freight containers that are insulated only, or insulated and equipped with a refrigerating, mechanically refrigerating, or heating appliance.
(4) The term “perishable foodstuffs” means quick deep-frozen and frozen food products listed in annex 2 and food products listed in annex 3 to the agreement.
(5) The term “international carriage” means transportation of perishable foodstuffs if such foodstuffs are loaded in equipment or the equipment containing them is loaded onto a rail or road vehicle, in the territory of any country and such foodstuffs are, or the equipment containing them is, unloaded in the territory of another country that is a contracting party, where such transportation is by—
(D) any sea crossing of less than one hundred and fifty kilometers, if preceded or followed by one or more land journeys as referred to in clauses (A), (B), and (C) of this paragraph, and the perishable foodstuffs are shipped in the same equipment used for such land journeys without transloading of such foodstuffs.
In the case of any transportation that involves one or more sea crossings other than as specified in clause (D) of this paragraph, each land journey shall be considered separately.
(6) The term “United States” means the fifty States of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the Virgin Islands of the United States, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, and any other territory or possession of the United States.