§ 375.609What must I do for shippers who store household goods in transit?
(a) If you are holding goods for storage-in-transit (SIT) and the period of time is about to expire, you must comply with this section.
(b) You must notify the individual shipper, in writing of the following four items:
(1) The date of conversion to permanent storage.
(2) The existence of a nine-month period after the date of conversion to permanent storage when the individual shipper may file claims against you for loss or damage occurring to the goods in transit or during the storage-in-transit period.
(3) The fact your liability is ending.
(4) The fact the individual shipper's property will be subject to the rules, regulations, and charges of the warehouseman.
(c) You must make this notification at least 10 days before the expiration date of either one of the following two periods:
(1) The specified period of time when the goods are to be held in storage.
(2) The maximum period of time provided in your tariff for storage-in-transit.
(d) You must notify the individual shipper by facsimile transmission; e-mail; overnight courier; or certified mail, return receipt requested.
(e) If you are holding household goods in storage-in-transit for a period of time less than 10 days, you must give notification to the individual shipper of the information specified in paragraph (b) of this section one day before the expiration date of the specified time when the goods are to be held in such storage.
(f) You must maintain a record of notifications as part of the records of the shipment.
(g) Your failure or refusal to notify the individual shipper will automatically effect a continuance of your carrier liability according to the applicable tariff provisions with respect to storage-in-transit, until the end of the day following the date when you actually gave notice.
(h) When you place household goods in permanent storage, you must place the household goods in the name of the individual shipper and provide contact information for the shipper in the form of a telephone number, mailing address and/or email address.