(a) An employee's service in a position that has been determined by the employing agency head to be a secondary position is covered under the provisions of 5 U.S.C. 8336(c) if all of the following criteria are met:
(1) The employee is transferred directly (i.e., without a break in service exceeding 3 days) from a primary position to a secondary position; and
(2) The employee has completed 3 years of service in a primary position, including a position for which no CSRS deductions were withheld; and
(3) If applicable, the employee has been continuously employed in secondary positions since transferring from a primary position without a break in service exceeding 3 days, except that a break in employment in secondary positions which begins with an involuntary separation (not for cause), within the meaning of 8336(d)(1) of title 5, United States Code, is not considered in determining whether the service in secondary positions is continuous for this purpose.
(b) For the purpose of applying the criteria at paragraphs (a)(1) through (3) of this section to evaluate transfers, service, and employment periods that occurred before September 1, 2007—
(1) A primary position is deemed to include:
(i) A position whose duties included the performance of work directly connected with activities relating to the arrival and departure of persons, conveyances, and merchandise at ports of entry that was classified within the Immigration Inspector Series (GS-1816), Customs Inspector Series (GS-1890), Canine Enforcement Officer Series (GS-1801), or any other series which the agency head determines were predecessor series to the Customs and Border Protection Series (GS-1895), and that would have been classified under the GS-1895 series had it then existed; and
(ii) A position within the Customs and Border Protection Series (GS-1895) whose duties included the performance of work directly connected with activities relating to the arrival and departure of persons, conveyances, and merchandise at ports of entry.
(2) A secondary position is deemed to include:
(i) A first-level supervisor of an employee in a position described at paragraph (b)(1)(i) or (b)(1)(ii) of this section; or
(ii) An executive, managerial, technical, semiprofessional, or professional position for which experience in a position described at paragraph (b)(1)(i) or (b)(1)(ii) of this section is a mandatory prerequisite.
(c) An employee who is not in a primary position, nor covered while in a secondary position, and who is detailed or temporarily promoted to a secondary position is not covered under the provisions of 5 U.S.C. 8336(c) for any purpose under this subpart.
Title 5 published on 2013-01-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.