10 U.S. Code § 492 - Biennial assessment and report on the delivery platforms for nuclear weapons and the nuclear command and control system
(a) Biennial Assessments.—
(1) For each even-numbered year, each covered official shall assess the safety, security, reliability, sustainability, performance, and military effectiveness of the systems described in paragraph (2) for which such official has responsibility.
(b) Biennial Report.—
(1) Not later than December 1 of each even-numbered year, each covered official shall submit to the Secretary of Defense and the Nuclear Weapons Council established by section 179 of this title a report on the assessments conducted under subsection (a).
(2) Each report under paragraph (1) shall include the following:
(B) An identification and discussion of any capability gaps or shortfalls with respect to the systems described in subsection (a)(2) covered under the assessment.
(C) An identification and discussion of any risks with respect to meeting mission or capability requirements.
(D) In the case of an assessment by the Commander of the United States Strategic Command, if the Commander identifies any deficiency with respect to a nuclear weapons delivery platform covered under the assessment, a discussion of the relative merits of any other nuclear weapons delivery platform type or compensatory measure that would accomplish the mission of such nuclear weapons delivery platform.
(c) Report to President and Congress.—
(1) Not later than March 1 of each year following a year for which a report under subsection (b) is submitted, the Secretary of Defense shall submit to the President a report containing—
(A) each report under subsection (b) submitted during the previous year, as originally submitted to the Secretary;
(C) any conclusions that the Secretary considers appropriate with respect to the safety, security, reliability, sustainability, performance, or military effectiveness of the systems described in subsection (a)(2); and
(2) Not later than March 15 of each year during which a report under paragraph (1) is submitted, the President shall transmit to the congressional defense committees the report submitted to the President under paragraph (1), including any comments the President considers appropriate.
Source(Added Pub. L. 112–81, div. A, title X, § 1041(a),Dec. 31, 2011, 125 Stat. 1573, § 490a; renumbered § 492,Pub. L. 112–239, div. A, title X, § 1031(b)(3)(A)(i),Jan. 2, 2013, 126 Stat. 1918.)
Initial Assessment and Reports
Pub. L. 112–81, div. A, title X, § 1041(b),Dec. 31, 2011, 125 Stat. 1574, as amended by Pub. L. 112–239, div. A, title X, § 1031(b)(4),Jan. 2, 2013, 126 Stat. 1919; Pub. L. 113–66, div. A, title X, § 1091(b)(6),Dec. 26, 2013, 127 Stat. 876, provided that: “Not later than 30 days after the date of enactment of this Act [Dec. 31, 2011], each covered official, as such term is defined in subsection (d) ofsection 492 of title 10, United States Code, shall conduct an initial assessment as described by subsection (a) of such section and submit an initial report as described by subsection (b) of such section. The requirements of subsection (c) of such section shall apply with respect to the report submitted under this subsection.”