22 U.S. Code § 4113 - Representation rights and duties
(a) Negotiation of collective bargaining agreements; nondiscriminatory representation
A labor organization which has been accorded exclusive recognition is the exclusive representative of, and is entitled to act for, and negotiate collective bargaining agreements covering, all employees in the unit described in section 4112 of this title. An exclusive representative is responsible for representing the interests of all employees in that unit without discrimination and without regard to labor organization membership.
(b) Places of representation
(1) An exclusive representative shall be given the opportunity to be represented at—
(A) any formal discussion between one or more representatives of the Department and one or more employees in the unit (or their representatives), concerning any grievance (as defined in section 4131 of this title) or any personnel policy or practice or other general condition of employment; and
(c) Duty to bargain in good faith; determination of techniques assisting negotiation
The Department and the exclusive representative, through appropriate representatives, shall meet and negotiate in good faith for the purposes of arriving at a collective bargaining agreement. In addition, the Department and the exclusive representative may determine appropriate techniques, consistent with the provisions of section 4110 of this title, to assist in any negotiation.
(d) Applicability to other employee rights or remedies
The rights of an exclusive representative under this section shall not preclude an employee from—
(1) being represented by an attorney or other representative of the employee’s own choosing, other than the exclusive representative, in any grievance proceeding under subchapter XI of this chapter; or
(e) Obligations included in good faith bargaining
The duty of the Department and the exclusive representative to negotiate in good faith shall include the obligation—
(2) to be represented at the negotiations by duly authorized representatives prepared to discuss and negotiate on any condition of employment;
(3) to meet at reasonable times and convenient places as frequently as may be necessary and to avoid unnecessary delays;
(4) for the Department to furnish to the exclusive representative, or its authorized representative, upon request and to the extent not prohibited by law, data—
(B) which is reasonably available and necessary for full and proper discussion, understanding, and negotiation of subjects within the scope of collective bargaining; and
(5) to negotiate jointly with respect to conditions of employment applicable to employees in more than one of the agencies authorized to utilize the Foreign Service personnel system, as determined by the heads of such agencies; and
(f) Approval of agreement by Secretary; effective date; binding effect
(1) An agreement between the Department and the exclusive representative shall be subject to approval by the Secretary.
(2) The Secretary shall approve the agreement within 30 days after the date of the agreement unless the Secretary finds in writing that the agreement is contrary to applicable law, rule, or regulation.
(g) Consultation by Department with exclusive representative
The Department shall consult with the exclusive representative with respect to Government-wide or multiagency matters affecting the rights, benefits, or obligations of individuals employed in agencies not authorized to utilize the Foreign Service personnel system. The exclusive representative shall be informed of any change proposed by the Department with respect to such matters, and shall be permitted reasonable time to present its views and recommendations regarding such change. The Department shall consider the views and recommendations of the exclusive representative before taking final action on any such change, and shall provide the exclusive representative a written statement of the reasons for taking the final action.
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.