1 CFR 51.9 - What is the proper language of incorporation?
(a) The language incorporating a publication by reference must be precise, complete, and clearly state that the incorporation by reference is intended and completed by the final rule document in which it appears.
(b) The language incorporating a publication by reference is precise and complete if it -
(1) Uses the words “incorporated by reference;”
(2) States the title, date, edition, author, publisher, and identification number of the publication;
(3) Informs the user that the incorporated publication is a requirement;
(4) Makes an official showing that the publication is in fact available by stating where and how copies may be examined and readily obtained with maximum convenience to the user; and
(5) Refers to 5 U.S.C. 552(a).
(c) If the Director approves a publication for incorporation by reference in a final rule, the agency must include -
(1) The following language under the
The incorporation by reference of certain publications listed in the regulations is approved by the Director of the Federal Register as of ____.
(2) The preamble requirements set out in 51.5(b).
(3) The term “incorporation by reference” in the list of index terms (See 1 CFR 18.20 Identification of subjects in agency regulations).