10 CFR 20.1301 - Dose limits for individual members of the public.
(1) The total effective dose equivalent to individual members of the public from the licensed operation does not exceed 0.1 rem (1 mSv) in a year, exclusive of the dose contributions from background radiation, from any medical administration the individual has received, from exposure to individuals administered radioactive material and released under § 35.75, from voluntary participation in medical research programs, and from the licensee's disposal of radioactive material into sanitary sewerage in accordance with § 20.2003, and
(2) The dose in any unrestricted area from external sources, exclusive of the dose contributions from patients administered radioactive material and released in accordance with § 35.75, does not exceed 0.002 rem (0.02 millisievert) in any one hour.
(b) If the licensee permits members of the public to have access to controlled areas, the limits for members of the public continue to apply to those individuals.
(c) Notwithstanding paragraph (a)(1) of this section, a licensee may permit visitors to an individual who cannot be released, under § 35.75, to receive a radiation dose greater than 0.1 rem (1 mSv) if -
(2) The authorized user, as defined in 10 CFR Part 35, has determined before the visit that it is appropriate.
(d) A licensee or license applicant may apply for prior NRC authorization to operate up to an annual dose limit for an individual member of the public of 0.5 rem (5 mSv). The licensee or license applicant shall include the following information in this application:
(3) The procedures to be followed to maintain the dose as low as is reasonably achievable.
(e) In addition to the requirements of this part, a licensee subject to the provisions of EPA's generally applicable environmental radiation standards in 40 CFR part 190 shall comply with those standards.
(f) The Commission may impose additional restrictions on radiation levels in unrestricted areas and on the total quantity of radionuclides that a licensee may release in effluents in order to restrict the collective dose.
Title 10 published on 2015-12-04
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 10 CFR Part 20 after this date.
- 10 CFR 20.1302 — Compliance With Dose Limits for Individual Members of the Public.
- 10 CFR 20.2203 — Reports of Exposures, Radiation Levels, and Concentrations of Radioactive Material Exceeding the Constraints or Limits.
- 10 CFR 20.2107 — Records of Dose to Individual Members of the Public.
- 10 CFR 20.2001 — General Requirements.
- 10 CFR 35.310 — Safety Instruction.
- 10 CFR 61.52 — Land Disposal Facility Operation and Disposal Site Closure.
- 10 CFR 20.1101 — Radiation Protection Programs.
- 10 CFR 35.410 — Safety Instruction.
- 10 CFR 50.36a — Technical Specifications on Effluents From Nuclear Power Reactors.