10 CFR 31.8 - Americium-241 and radium-226 in the form of calibration or reference sources.
(a) A general license is issued to those persons listed in this section to own, receive, acquire, possess, use, and transfer, in accordance with the provisions of paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section, americium-241 or radium-226 in the form of calibration or reference sources:
(1) Any person in a non-Agreement State who holds a specific license issued under this chapter which authorizes receipt, possession, use, and transfer of byproduct material, source material, or special nuclear material; and
(2) Any Government agency, as defined in § 30.4 of this chapter, which holds a specific license issued under this chapter which authorizes it to receive, possess, use, and transfer byproduct material, source material, or special nuclear material.
(b) The general license in paragraph (a) of this section applies only to calibration or reference sources which have been manufactured or initially transferred in accordance with the specifications contained in a specific license issued under § 32.57 of this chapter or in accordance with the specifications contained in a specific license issued to the manufacturer by an Agreement State which authorizes manufacture of the sources for distribution to persons generally licensed by the Agreement State, or in accordance with a specific license issued by a State with comparable provisions to § 32.57.
(c) The general license in paragraph (a) of this section is subject to the provisions of §§ 30.14(d), 30.34 (a) to (e), and 30.50 to 30.63 of this chapter, and to the provisions of parts 19, 20, and 21, of this chapter. In addition, persons who own, receive, acquire, possess, use, and transfer one or more calibration or reference sources under this general license:
(1) Shall not possess at any one time, at any one location of storage or use, more than 0.185 megabecquerel (5 microcuries) of americium-241 or 0.185 megabecquerel (5 microcuries) of radium-226 in such sources;
(2) Shall not receive, possess, use, or transfer a source unless the source, or the storage container, bears a label which includes the following statement or a substantially similar statement which contains the information called for in the following statement: 1
1 Sources generally licensed under this section before January 19, 1975, may bear labels authorized by the regulations in effect on January 1, 1975. Sources containing radium-226 generally licensed under this section and manufactured before November 30, 2007 shall be labeled in accordance with the applicable State regulations at the time of manufacture or import.
The receipt, possession, use, and transfer of this source, Model XX, Serial No. XX, are subject to a general license and the regulations of the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission or of a State with which the Commission has entered into an agreement for the exercise of regulatory authority. Do not remove this label.
(3) Shall not transfer, abandon, or dispose of a source except by transfer to a person authorized by a license issued under this chapter or by an Agreement State to receive the source.
(4) Shall store a source, except when the source is being used, in a closed container adequately designed and constructed to contain americium-241 or radium-226 which might otherwise escape during storage.
(5) Shall not use a source for any purpose other than the calibration of radiation detectors or the standardization of other sources.
(d) This general license does not authorize the manufacture or import of calibration or reference sources containing americium-241 or radium-226.
(e) This general license does not authorize the export of calibration or reference sources containing americium-241 or radium-226.
Title 10 published on 10-May-2017 03:48
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 10 CFR Part 31 after this date.