10 CFR 32.210 - Registration of product information.
(a) Any manufacturer or initial distributor of a sealed source or device containing a sealed source may submit a request to the NRC for evaluation of radiation safety information about its product and for its registration.
(b) The request for review must be sent to the NRC's Office of Nuclear Material Safety and Safeguards, ATTN: SSDR by an appropriate method listed in § 30.6(a) of this chapter.
(c) The request for review of a sealed source or a device must include sufficient information about the design, manufacture, prototype testing, quality control program, labeling, proposed uses and leak testing and, for a device, the request must also include sufficient information about installation, service and maintenance, operating and safety instructions, and its potential hazards, to provide reasonable assurance that the radiation safety properties of the source or device are adequate to protect health and minimize danger to life and property.
(d) The NRC normally evaluates a sealed source or a device using radiation safety criteria in accepted industry standards. If these standards and criteria do not readily apply to a particular case, the NRC formulates reasonable standards and criteria with the help of the manufacturer or distributor. The NRC shall use criteria and standards sufficient to ensure that the radiation safety properties of the device or sealed source are adequate to protect health and minimize danger to life and property. Subpart A of this part includes specific criteria that apply to certain exempt products and subpart B includes specific criteria applicable to certain generally licensed devices. Subpart C includes specific provisions that apply to certain specifically licensed items.
(e) After completion of the evaluation, the Commission issues a certificate of registration to the person making the request. The certificate of registration acknowledges the availability of the submitted information for inclusion in an application for a specific license proposing use of the product, or concerning use under an exemption from licensing or general license as applicable for the category of certificate.
(f) The person submitting the request for evaluation and registration of safety information about the product shall manufacture and distribute the product in accordance with -
(1) The statements and representations, including quality control program, contained in the request; and
(2) The provisions of the registration certificate.
(g) Authority to manufacture or initially distribute a sealed source or device to specific licensees may be provided in the license without the issuance of a certificate of registration in the following cases:
(1) Calibration and reference sources containing no more than:
(i) 37 MBq (1 mCi), for beta and/or gamma emitting radionuclides; or
(ii) 0.37 MBq (10 µCi), for alpha emitting radionuclides; or
(2) The intended recipients are qualified by training and experience and have sufficient facilities and equipment to safely use and handle the requested quantity of radioactive material in any form in the case of unregistered sources or, for registered sealed sources contained in unregistered devices, are qualified by training and experience and have sufficient facilities and equipment to safely use and handle the requested quantity of radioactive material in unshielded form, as specified in their licenses; and
(i) The intended recipients are licensed under part 33 of this chapter or comparable provisions of an Agreement State; or
(ii) The recipients are authorized for research and development; or
(iii) The sources and devices are to be built to the unique specifications of the particular recipient and contain no more than 740 GBq (20 Ci) of tritium or 7.4 GBq (200 mCi) of any other radionuclide.
(h) After the certificate is issued, the Commission may conduct an additional review as it determines is necessary to ensure compliance with current regulatory standards. In conducting its review, the Commission will complete its evaluation in accordance with criteria specified in this section. The Commission may request such additional information as it considers necessary to conduct its review and the certificate holder shall provide the information as requested.
Title 10 published on 04-Apr-2017 04:06
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 10 CFR Part 32 after this date.
- 10 CFR 39.41 — Design and Performance Criteria for Sources.
- 10 CFR 30.22 — Certain Industrial Devices.
- 10 CFR 30.20 — Gas and Aerosol Detectors Containing Byproduct Material.
- 10 CFR 30.19 — Self-Luminous Products Containing Tritium, Krypton-85, or Promethium-147.
- 10 CFR 30.32 — Application for Specific Licenses.
- 10 CFR 30.38 — Application for Amendment of Licenses and Registration Certificates.