12 CFR 1030.8 - Advertising.
(a) Misleading or inaccurate advertisements. An advertisement shall not:
(1) Be misleading or inaccurate or misrepresent a depository institution's deposit contract; or
(2) Refer to or describe an account as “free” or “no cost” (or contain a similar term) if any maintenance or activity fee may be imposed on the account. The word “profit” shall not be used in referring to interest paid on an account.
(b) Permissible rates. If an advertisement states a rate of return, it shall state the rate as an “annual percentage yield” using that term. (The abbreviation “APY” may be used provided the term “annual percentage yield” is stated at least once in the advertisement.) The advertisement shall not state any other rate, except that the “interest rate,” using that term, may be stated in conjunction with, but not more conspicuously than, the annual percentage yield to which it relates.
(c) When additional disclosures are required. Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, if the annual percentage yield is stated in an advertisement, the advertisement shall state the following information, to the extent applicable, clearly and conspicuously:
(3) Minimum balance. The minimum balance required to obtain the advertised annual percentage yield. For tiered-rate accounts, the minimum balance required for each tier shall be stated in close proximity and with equal prominence to the applicable annual percentage yield.
(5) Effect of fees. A statement that fees could reduce the earnings on the account.
(6) Features of time accounts. For time accounts:
(i) Time requirements. The term of the account.
(ii) Early withdrawal penalties: A statement that a penalty will or may be imposed for early withdrawal.
(iii) Required interest payouts. For noncompounding time accounts with a stated maturity greater than one year that do not compound interest on an annual or more frequent basis, that require interest payouts at least annually, and that disclose an APY determined in accordance with section E of appendix A of this part, a statement that interest cannot remain on deposit and that payout of interest is mandatory.
(d) Bonuses. Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, if a bonus is stated in an advertisement, the advertisement shall state the following information, to the extent applicable, clearly and conspicuously:
(1) The “annual percentage yield,” using that term;
(2) The time requirement to obtain the bonus;
(3) The minimum balance required to obtain the bonus;
(5) When the bonus will be provided.
(e) Exemption for certain advertisements -
(1) Certain media. If an advertisement is made through one of the following media, it need not contain the information in paragraphs (c)(1), (c)(2), (c)(4), (c)(5), (c)(6)(ii), (d)(4), and (d)(5) of this section:
(i) Broadcast or electronic media, such as television or radio;
(ii) Outdoor media, such as billboards; or
(iii) Telephone response machines.
(2) Indoor signs.
(i) Signs inside the premises of a depository institution (or the premises of a deposit broker) are not subject to paragraphs (b), (c), (d) or (e)(1) of this section.
(A) State the rate as an “annual percentage yield,” using that term or the term “APY.” The sign shall not state any other rate, except that the interest rate may be stated in conjunction with the annual percentage yield to which it relates.
(B) Contain a statement advising consumers to contact an employee for further information about applicable fees and terms.
(f) Additional disclosures in connection with the payment of overdrafts. Institutions that promote the payment of overdrafts in an advertisement shall include in the advertisement the disclosures required by § 1030.11(b) of this part.