12 CFR 48.2 - Definitions.
In addition to the definitions in this section, for purposes of this part, the following terms have the same meaning as in the Commodity Exchange Act: “Affiliated person of a futures commission merchant”; “associated person”; “contract of sale”; “commodity”; “eligible contract participant”; “futures commission merchant”; “future delivery”; “option”; “security”; and “security futures product”.
Affiliate has the same meaning as in section 2(k) of the Bank Holding Company Act of 1956 ( 12 U.S.C. 1841(k)).
Forex means foreign exchange.
Identified banking product has the same meaning as in section 401(b) of the Legal Certainty for Bank Products Act of 2000 ( 7 U.S.C. 27(b)).
Institution-affiliated party or IAP has the same meaning as in section 3(u)(1), (2), or (3) of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act ( 12 U.S.C. 1813(u)(1), (2), or (3)).
National bank means:
(1) A national bank;
(2) A Federal branch or agency of a foreign bank, each as defined in 12 U.S.C. 3101; and
(3) An operating subsidiary of a national bank or an operating subsidiary of a Federal branch or agency of a foreign bank.
Related person, when used in reference to a retail forex counterparty, means:
(1) Any general partner, officer, director, or owner of 10 percent or more of the capital stock of the retail forex counterparty;
(4) A relative or spouse of any of the foregoing persons, or a relative of such spouse, who shares the same home as any of the foregoing persons.
Retail foreign exchange dealer means any person other than a retail forex customer that is, or that offers to be, the counterparty to a retail forex transaction, except for a person described in item (aa), (bb), (cc)(AA), (dd), or (ff) of section 2(c)(2)(B)(i)(II) of the Commodity Exchange Act ( 7 U.S.C. 2(c)(2)(B)(i)(II)).
Retail forex account means the account of a retail forex customer, established with a national bank, in which retail forex transactions with the national bank as counterparty are undertaken, or the account of a retail forex customer that is established in order to enter into such transactions.
Retail forex account agreement means the contractual agreement between a national bank and a retail forex customer that contains the terms governing the customer's retail forex account with the national bank.
Retail forex business means engaging in one or more retail forex transactions with the intent to derive income from those transactions, either directly or indirectly.
Retail forex counterparty includes, as appropriate:
(1) A national bank;
(3) A futures commission merchant; and
(4) An affiliated person of a futures commission merchant.
Retail forex customer means a customer that is not an eligible contract participant, acting on his, her, or its own behalf and engaging in retail forex transactions.
Retail forex proprietary account means: A retail forex account carried on the books of a national bank for one of the following persons; a retail forex account of which 10 percent or more is owned by one of the following persons; or a retail forex account of which an aggregate of 10 percent or more of which is owned by more than one of the following persons:
(1) The national bank;
(2) An officer, director, or owner of 10 percent or more of the capital stock of the national bank; or
(3) An employee of the national bank, whose duties include:
(i) The management of the national bank's business;
(iv) The signing or co-signing of checks or drafts on behalf of the national bank;
(4) A spouse or minor dependent living in the same household as any of the foregoing persons; or
(5) An affiliate of the national bank.
Retail forex transaction means an agreement, contract, or transaction in foreign currency, other than an identified banking product or a part of an identified banking product, that is offered or entered into by a national bank with a person that is not an eligible contract participant and that is:
(1) A contract of sale of a commodity for future delivery or an option on such a contract;
(2) An option, other than an option executed or traded on a national securities exchange registered pursuant to section 6(a) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 ( 15 U.S.C. 78(f)(a)); or
(3) Offered or entered into on a leveraged or margined basis, or financed by a national bank, its affiliate, or any person acting in concert with the national bank or its affiliate on a similar basis, other than:
(ii) A contract of sale that:
(A) Results in actual delivery within two days; or
(B) Creates an enforceable obligation to deliver between a seller and buyer that have the ability to deliver and accept delivery, respectively, in connection with their line of business; or
(iii) An agreement, contract, or transaction that the OCC determines is not functionally or economically similar to:
(A) A contract of sale of a commodity for future delivery or an option on such a contract; or
(B) An option, other than an option executed or traded on a national securities exchange registered pursuant to section 6(a) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 ( 15 U.S.C. 78(f)(a)).
Title 12 published on 2015-12-05.
No entries appear in the Federal Register after this date, for 12 CFR Part 48.