12 CFR 702.201 - Prompt corrective action for “adequately capitalized” credit unions.
(a)Earnings retention. Beginning the effective date of classification as “adequately capitalized” or lower, a federally-insured credit union must increase the dollar amount of its net worth quarterly either in the current quarter, or on average over the current and three preceding quarters, by an amount equivalent to at least 1/10th percent (0.1%) of its total assets, and must quarterly transfer that amount (or more by choice) from undivided earnings to its regular reserve account until it is “well capitalized.”
(b)Decrease in retention. Upon written application received no later than 14 days before the quarter end, the NCUA Board, on a case-by-case basis, may permit a credit union to increase the dollar amount of its net worth and quarterly transfer an amount that is less than the amount required under paragraph (a) of this section, to the extent the NCUA Board determines that such lesser amount -
(1) Is necessary to avoid a significant redemption of shares; and
(2) Would further the purpose of this part.
(c)Decrease by FISCU. The NCUA Board shall consult and seek to work cooperatively with the appropriate State official before permitting a federally-insured State-chartered credit union to decrease its earnings retention under paragraph (b) of this section.
(d)Periodic review. A decision under paragraph (b) of this section to permit a credit union to decrease its earnings retention is subject to quarterly review and revocation except when the credit union is operating under an approved net worth restoration plan that provides for decreasing its earnings retention as provided under paragraph (b).
- 12 CFR 702.303 — Prompt Corrective Action for “adequately Capitalized” New Credit Unions.
- 12 CFR 702.203 — Prompt Corrective Action for “significantly Undercapitalized” Credit Unions.
- 12 CFR 702.202 — Prompt Corrective Action for “undercapitalized” Credit Unions.
- 12 CFR 702.204 — Prompt Corrective Action for “critically Undercapitalized” Credit Unions
- 12 CFR 702.206 — Net Worth Restoration Plans.