14 CFR 142.53 - Training center instructor training and testing requirements.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, prior to designation and every 12 calendar months beginning the first day of the month following an instructor's initial designation, a certificate holder must ensure that each of its instructors meets the following requirements:
(1) Each instructor must satisfactorily demonstrate to an authorized evaluator knowledge of, and proficiency in, instructing in a representative segment of each curriculum for which that instructor is designated to instruct under this part.
(i) The fundamental principles of the learning process;
(ii) Elements of effective teaching, instruction methods, and techniques;
(iii) Instructor duties, privileges, responsibilities, and limitations;
(iv) Training policies and procedures;
(v) Cockpit resource management and crew coordination; and
(3) Each instructor who instructs in a qualified and approved flight simulator or flight training device must satisfactorily complete an approved course of training in the operation of the flight simulator, and an approved course of ground instruction, applicable to the training courses the instructor is designated to instruct.
(i) Proper operation of flight simulator and flight training device controls and systems;
(ii) Proper operation of environmental and fault panels;
(iii) Limitations of simulation; and
(iv) Minimum equipment requirements for each curriculum.
(5) Each flight instructor who provides training in an aircraft must satisfactorily complete an approved course of ground instruction and flight training in an aircraft, flight simulator, or flight training device.
(iii) Emergency operations;
(iv) Emergency situations likely to develop during training; and
(v) Appropriate safety measures.
(ii) On the subject matter and maneuvers of a representative segment of each curriculum for which the instructor will be instructing.
(b) In addition to the requirements of paragraphs (a)(1) through (a)(7) of this section, each certificate holder must ensure that each instructor who instructs in a flight simulator that the Administrator has approved for all training and all testing for the airline transport pilot certification test, aircraft type rating test, or both, has met at least one of the following three requirements:
(1) Each instructor must have performed 2 hours in flight, including three takeoffs and three landings as the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft of the same category and class, and, if a type rating is required, of the same type replicated by the approved flight simulator in which that instructor is designated to instruct;
(2) Each instructor must have participated in an approved line-observation program under part 121 or part 135 of this chapter, and that -
(ii) Included line-oriented flight training of at least 1 hour of flight during which the instructor was the sole manipulator of the controls in a flight simulator that replicated the same type aircraft for which that instructor is designated to instruct; or
(ii) Included line-oriented flight training of at least 1 hour of flight during which the instructor was the sole manipulator of the controls in a flight simulator that replicated the same type aircraft for which that instructor is designated to instruct.
(c) An instructor who satisfactorily completes a curriculum required by paragraph (a) or (b) of this section in the calendar month before or after the month in which it is due is considered to have taken it in the month in which it was due for the purpose of computing when the next training is due.
(d) The Administrator may give credit for the requirements of paragraph (a) or (b) of this section to an instructor who has satisfactorily completed an instructor training course for a part 121 or part 135 certificate holder if the Administrator finds such a course equivalent to the requirements of paragraph (a) or (b) of this section.