15 CFR 923.81 - Requests for amendments.
(a) Requests for amendments shall be submitted to the Assistant Administrator by the Governor of a coastal state with an approved management program or by the head of the state agency (designated pursuant to subsection 306(d)(6) of the Act) if the Governor had delegated this responsibility and such delegation is part of the approved management program. Whenever possible, requests should be submitted prior to final State action to implement the amendment. At least one public hearing must be held on the proposed amendment, pursuant to subsection 306(d)(4) of the Act. Pursuant to section 311 of the Act, notice of such public hearing(s) must be announced at least 30 days prior to the hearing date. At the time of the announcement, relevant agency materials pertinent to the hearing must be made available to the public.
(b) Amendment requests must contain the following:
(1) A description of the proposed change, including specific pages and text of the management program that will be changed if the amendment is approved by the Assistant Administrator. This description shall also identify any enforceable policies to be added to the management program;
(2) An explanation of why the change is necessary and appropriate, including a discussion of the following factors, as relevant; changes in coastal zone needs, problems, issues, or priorities. This discussion also shall identify which findings, if any made by the Assistant Administrator in approving the management program may need to be modified if the amendment is approved;
(3) A copy of public notice(s) announcing the public hearing(s) on the proposed amendments;
(4) A summary of the hearing(s) comments:
(i) Where OCRM is providing Federal agency review concurrent with the notice period for the State's public hearing, this summary of hearing(s) comments may be submitted to the Assistant Administrator within 60 days after the hearing;
(ii) Where hearing(s) summaries are submitted as a supplement to the amendment request (as in the case described in paragraph (b)(1) of this section), the Assistant Administrator will not take final action to approve or disapprove an amendment request until the hearing(s) summaries have been received and reviewed; and
(5) Documentation of opportunities provided relevant Federal, State, regional and local agencies, port authorities and other interested public and private parties to participate in the development and approval at the State level of the proposed amendment.