16 CFR 1101.52 - Procedure for retraction.
(a)Initiative. The Commission may retract information under section 6(b)(7) on the initiative of the Commission, upon the request of a manufacturer, private labeler, distributor, or retailer of a consumer product, or upon the request of any other person in accordance with the procedures provided in this section.
(b)Request for retraction. Any manufacturer, private labeler, distributor or retailer of a consumer product or any other person may request a retraction if he/she believes the Commission or an individual member, employee, agent, contractor or representative of the Commission has made public disclosure of inaccurate or misleading information, which reflects adversely either on the safety of a product with which the firm deals or on the practices of the firm. The request must be in writing and addressed to the Secretary, CPSC. Washington, D.C. 20207.
(c)Content of request. A request for retraction must include the following information to the extent it is reasonably available:
(1) The information disclosed for which retraction is requested, the date on which the information was disclosed, the manner in which it was disclosed, who disclosed it, the type of document (e.g., letter, memorandum, news release) and any other relevant information the firm has to assist the Commission in identifying the information. A photocopy of the disclosure should accompany the request.
(2) A statement of the specific aspects of the information the firm believes are inaccurate or misleading and reflect adversely either on the safety of a consumer product with which the firm deals or on the firm's practices.
(3) A statement of the reasons the firm believes the information is inaccurate or misleading and reflects adversely either on the safety of a consumer product with which the firm deals or on the firm's practices.
(4) A statement of the action the firm requests the Commission to take in publishing a retraction in a manner equivalent to that in which disclosure was made.
(5) Any additional data or information the firm believes is relevant.
(d)Commission action on request. The Commission will act expeditiously on any request for retraction within 30 working days unless the Commission determines, for good cause, that a longer time period is appropriate. If the Commission finds that the Commission or any individual member, employee, agent contractor or representative of the Commission has made public disclosure of inaccurate or misleading information that reflects adversely either on the safety of the firm's product or the practices of the firm, the Commission will publish a retraction of information in a manner equivalent to that in which the disclosure was made. If the Commission finds that fuller disclosure is necessary, it will publish a retraction in the manner it determines appropriate under the circumstances.
(e)Notification to requester. The Commission will promptly notify the requester in writing of its decision on request for retraction. Notification shall set forth the reasons for the Commission's decision.
Title 16 published on 03-May-2017 03:55
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 16 CFR Part 1101 after this date.