17 CFR § 227.404 - Records to be made and kept by funding portals.
(a) Generally. A funding portal shall make and preserve the following records for five years, the first two years in an easily accessible place:
(1) All records related to an investor who purchases or attempts to purchase securities through the funding portal;
(3) Records of all communications that occur on or through its platform;
(4) All records related to persons that use communication channels provided by a funding portal to promote an issuer's securities or communicate with potential investors;
(6) All notices provided by such funding portal to issuers and investors generally through the funding portal's platform or otherwise, including, but not limited to, notices addressing hours of funding portal operations (if any), funding portal malfunctions, changes to funding portal procedures, maintenance of hardware and software, instructions pertaining to access to the funding portal and denials of, or limitations on, access to the funding portal;
(7) All written agreements (or copies thereof) entered into by such funding portal relating to its business as such;
(8) All daily, monthly and quarterly summaries of transactions effected through the funding portal, including:
(ii) Transaction volume, expressed in:
(A) Number of transactions;
(B) Number of securities involved in a transaction;
(C) Total amounts raised by, and distributed to, issuers; and
(D) Total dollar amounts raised across all issuers, expressed in U.S. dollars; and
(b) Organizational documents. A funding portal shall make and preserve during the operation of the funding portal and of any successor funding portal, all organizational documents relating to the funding portal, including but not limited to, partnership agreements, articles of incorporation or charter, minute books and stock certificate books (or other similar type documents).
(c) Format. The records required to be maintained and preserved pursuant to paragraph (a) of this section must be produced, reproduced, and maintained in the original, non-alterable format in which they were created or as permitted under § 240.17a-4(f) of this chapter.
(d) Third parties. The records required to be made and preserved pursuant to this section may be prepared or maintained by a third party on behalf of a funding portal. An agreement with a third party shall not relieve a funding portal from the responsibility to prepare and maintain records as specified in this rule. A funding portal must file with the registered national securities association of which it is a member, a written undertaking in a form acceptable to the registered national securities association, signed by a duly authorized person of the third party, stating in effect that such records are the property of the funding portal and will be surrendered promptly on request of the funding portal. The undertaking shall include the following provision:
With respect to any books and records maintained or preserved on behalf of [name of funding portal], the undersigned hereby acknowledges that the books and records are the property of [name of funding portal], and hereby undertakes to permit examination of such books and records at any time, or from time to time, during business hours by representatives of the Securities and Exchange Commission and the registered national securities association of which the funding portal is a member, and to promptly furnish to the Commission, its representatives, and the registered national securities association of which the funding portal is a member, a true, correct, complete and current hard copy of any, all, or any part of, such books and records.
(e) Review of records. All records of a funding portal are subject at any time, or from time to time, to reasonable periodic, special, or other examination by the representatives of the Commission and the registered national securities association of which a funding portal is a member. Every funding portal shall furnish promptly to the Commission, its representatives, and the registered national securities association of which the funding portal is a member true, correct, complete and current copies of such records of the funding portal that are requested by the representatives of the Commission and the registered national securities association.
(f) Financial recordkeeping and reporting of currency and foreign transactions. A funding portal that is subject to the requirements of the Currency and Foreign Transactions Reporting Act of 1970 (15 U.S.C. 5311 et seq.) shall comply with the reporting, recordkeeping and record retention requirements of 31 CFR chapter X. Where 31 CFR chapter X and § 227.404(a) and (b) require the same records or reports to be preserved for different periods of time, such records or reports shall be preserved for the longer period of time.