17 CFR 270.0-1 - Definition of terms used in this part.
(1) The term Commission means the Securities and Exchange Commission.
(2) The term act means the Investment Company Act of 1940.
(3) The term section refers to a section of the act.
(4) The terms rule and regulations refer to the rules and regulations adopted by the Commission pursuant to the Act, including the forms for registration and reports and the accompanying instructions thereto.
(5) The term administrator means any person who provides significant administrative or business affairs management services to an investment company.
(A) A majority of the disinterested directors reasonably determine in the exercise of their judgment (and record the basis for that determination in the minutes of their meeting) that any representation by the person of the company's investment adviser, principal underwriter, administrator (“management organizations”), or any of their control persons, since the beginning of the fund's last two completed fiscal years, is or was sufficiently limited that it is unlikely to adversely affect the professional judgment of the person in providing legal representation to the disinterested directors; and
(B) The disinterested directors have obtained an undertaking from such person to provide them with information necessary to make their determination and to update promptly that information when the person begins to represent, or materially increases his representation of, a management organization or control person.
(ii) The disinterested directors are entitled to rely on the information obtained from the person, unless they know or have reason to believe that the information is materially false or incomplete. The disinterested directors must re-evaluate their determination no less frequently than annually (and record the basis accordingly), except as provided in paragraph (iii) of this section.
(iii) After the disinterested directors obtain information that the person has begun to represent, or has materially increased his representation of, a management organization (or any of its control persons), the person may continue to be an independent legal counsel, for purposes of paragraph (a)(6)(i) of this section, for no longer than three months unless during that period the disinterested directors make a new determination under that paragraph.
(iv) For purposes of paragraphs (a)(6)(i)-(iii) of this section:
(B) The term control person means any person (other than an investment company) directly or indirectly controlling, controlled by, or under common control with any of the investment company's management organizations.
(7)Fund governance standards. The board of directors of an investment company (“fund”) satisfies the fund governance standards if:
(i) At least seventy-five percent of the directors of the fund are not interested persons of the fund (“disinterested directors”) or, if the fund has three directors, all but one are disinterested directors;
(ii) The disinterested directors of the fund select and nominate any other disinterested director of the fund;
(iv) A disinterested director serves as chairman of the board of directors of the fund, presides over meetings of the board of directors and has substantially the same responsibilities as would a chairman of a board of directors;
(v) The board of directors evaluates at least once annually the performance of the board of directors and the committees of the board of directors, which evaluation must include a consideration of the effectiveness of the committee structure of the fund board and the number of funds on whose boards each director serves;
(vi) The disinterested directors meet at least once quarterly in a session at which no directors who are interested persons of the fund are present; and
(vii) The disinterested directors have been authorized to hire employees and to retain advisers and experts necessary to carry out their duties.
(b) Unless otherwise specifically provided, the terms used in the rules and regulations in this part shall have the meaning defined in the Act. The terms “EDGAR,” “EDGAR Filer Manual,” “electronic filer,” “electronic filing,” “electronic format,” “electronic submission,” “paper format,” and “signature” shall have the meanings assigned to such terms in Regulation S-T - General Rules for Electronic Filings ( Part 232 of this chapter).
(c) A rule or regulation which defines a term without express reference to the act or to the rules and regulations, or to a portion thereof, defines such terms for all purposes as used both in the act and in the rules and regulations in this part, unless the context otherwise requires.
(e) Definition of separate account and conditions for availability of exemption under §§ 270.6c-6, 270.6c-7, 270.6c-8, 270.11a-2, 270.14a-2, 270.15a-3, 270.16a-1, 270.22c-1, 270.22d-3, 270.22e-1, 270.26a-1, 270.26a-2, 270.27a-1, 270.27a-2, 270.27a-3, 270.27c-1, and 270.32a-2 of this chapter.
(1) As used in the rules and regulations prescribed by the Commission pursuant to the Investment Company Act of 1940, unless otherwise specified or the context otherwise requires, the term “separate account” shall mean an account established and maintained by an insurance company pursuant to the laws of any state or territory of the United States, or of Canada or any province thereof, under which income, gains and losses, whether or not realized, from assets allocated to such account, are, in accordance with the applicable contract, credited to or charged against such account without regard to other income, gains or losses of the insurance company and the term “variable annuity contract” shall mean any accumulation or annuity contract, any portion thereof, or any unit of interest or participation therein pursuant to which the value of the contract, either prior or subsequent to annuitization, or both, varies according to the investment experience of the separate account in which the contract participates.
(2) As conditions to the availability of exemptive Rules 6c-6, 6c-7, 6c-8, 11a-2, 14a-2, 15a-3, 16a-1, 22c-1, 22d-3, 22e-1, 26a-1, 26a-2, 27a-1, 27a-2, 27a-3, 27c-1, and 32a-2, the separate account shall be legally segregated, the assets of the separate account shall, at the time during the year that adjustments in the reserves are made, have a value at least equal to the reserves and other contract liabilities with respect to such account, and at all other times, shall have a value approximately equal to or in excess of such reserves and liabilities; and that portion of such assets having a value equal to, or approximately equal to, such reserves and contract liabilities shall not be chargeable with liabilities arising out of any other business which the insurance company may conduct.
Title 17 published on 2015-12-04
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 17 CFR Part 270 after this date.
- 17 CFR 270.17e-1 — Brokerage Transactions on a Securities Exchange.
- 17 CFR 270.17g-1 — Bonding of Officers and Employees of Registered Management Investment Companies.
- 17 CFR 270.17d-1 — Applications Regarding Joint Enterprises or Arrangements and Certain Profit-Sharing Plans.
- 17 CFR 270.17a-8 — Mergers of Affiliated Companies.
- 17 CFR 270.17a-7 — Exemption of Certain Purchase or Sale Transactions Between an Investment Company and Certain Affiliated Persons Thereof.
- 17 CFR 230.157 — Small Entities Under the Securities Act for Purposes of the Regulatory Flexibility Act.
- 17 CFR 270.15a-4 — Temporary Exemption for Certain Investment Advisers.
- 17 CFR 270.18f-3 — Multiple Class Companies.
- 17 CFR 270.23c-3 — Repurchase Offers by Closed-End Companies.
- 17 CFR 270.10f-3 — Exemption for the Acquisition of Securities During the Existence of an Underwriting or Selling Syndicate.
- 17 CFR 240.0-10 — Small Entities Under the Securities Exchange Act for Purposes of the Regulatory Flexibility Act.
Title 17 published on 2015-12-04.
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 17.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.