§ 270.3c-5Beneficial ownership by knowledgeable employees and certain other persons.
(a) As used in this section:
(1) The term Affiliated Management Person means an affiliated person, as such term is defined in section 2(a)(3) of the Act [15 U.S.C. 80a-2(a)(3)], that manages the investment activities of a Covered Company. For purposes of this definition, the term “investment company” as used in section 2(a)(3) of the Act includes a Covered Company.
(2) The term Covered Company means a Section 3(c)(1) Company or a Section 3(c)(7) Company.
(3) The term Executive Officer means the president, any vice president in charge of a principal business unit, division or function (such as sales, administration or finance), any other officer who performs a policy-making function, or any other person who performs similar policy-making functions, for a Covered Company or for an Affiliated Management Person of the Covered Company.
(4) The term Knowledgeable Employee with respect to any Covered Company means any natural person who is:
(i) An Executive Officer, director, trustee, general partner, advisory board member, or person serving in a similar capacity, of the Covered Company or an Affiliated Management Person of the Covered Company; or
(ii) An employee of the Covered Company or an Affiliated Management Person of the Covered Company (other than an employee performing solely clerical, secretarial or administrative functions with regard to such company or its investments) who, in connection with his or her regular functions or duties, participates in the investment activities of such Covered Company, other Covered Companies, or investment companies the investment activities of which are managed by such Affiliated Management Person of the Covered Company, provided that such employee has been performing such functions and duties for or on behalf of the Covered Company or the Affiliated Management Person of the Covered Company, or substantially similar functions or duties for or on behalf of another company for at least 12 months.
(5) The term Section 3(c)(1) Company means a company that would be an investment company but for the exclusion provided by section 3(c)(1) of the Act [15 U.S.C. 80a-3(c)(1)].
(6) The term Section 3(c)(7) Company means a company that would be an investment company but for the exclusion provided by section 3(c)(7) of the Act [15 U.S.C. 80a-3(c)(7)].
(b) For purposes of determining the number of beneficial owners of a Section 3(c)(1) Company, and whether the outstanding securities of a Section 3(c)(7) Company are owned exclusively by qualified purchasers, there shall be excluded securities beneficially owned by:
(1) A person who at the time such securities were acquired was a Knowledgeable Employee of such Company;
(2) A company owned exclusively by Knowledgeable Employees;
(3) Any person who acquires securities originally acquired by a Knowledgeable Employee in accordance with this section, provided that such securities were acquired by such person in accordance with § 270.3c-6