18 CFR 12.31 - Definitions.
For purposes of this subpart:
(a) Independent consultant means any person who:
(1) Is a licensed professional engineer;
(2) Has at least 10 years experience and expertise in dam design and construction and in the investigation of the safety of existing dams; and
(3) Is not, and has not been within two years before being retained to perform an inspection under this subpart, an employee of the licensee or its affiliates or an agent acting on behalf of the licensee or its affiliates.
(b) Dam that has a high hazard potential means any dam whose failure, in the judgment of the Commission or its authorized representative, might endanger human life or cause significant property damage, or which meets the criteria for high hazard potential as defined by the Corps of Engineers in 33 CFR part 222.
(c) Height above streambed means:
(1) For a dam with a spillway, the vertical distance from the lowest elevation of the natural streambed at the downstream toe of the dam to the maximum water storage elevation possible without any discharge from the spillway. The maximum water storage elevation is:
(i) For gated spillways, the elevation of the tops of the gates;
(ii) For ungated spillways, the elevation of the spillway crest or the top of any flashboards, whichever is higher;
(2) For a dam without a spillway, the vertical distance from the lowest elevation of the natural streambed at the downstream tow of the dam to the lowest point on the crest of the dam.
(d) Gross storage capacity means the maximum possible volume of water impounded by a dam with zero spill, that is, without the discharge of water over the dam or a spillway.
(e) The Director of the Office of Energy Projects Licensing may, for good cause shown, grant a waiver of the 10 year requirement in paragraph (a)(2) of this section. Any petition for waiver under this paragraph must be filed in accordance with § 1.7(b) of this chapter.