18 CFR 3a.21 - Authority to downgrade and declassify.
(a) The authority to downgrade and declassify information or material shall be exercised as follows:
(1) Information or material may be downgraded or declassified by the official authorizing the original classification, by a successor or by a supervisory official of either.
(2) Downgrading and declassification authority may also be exercised by an official specifically authorized under regulations issued by the head of the Department listed in sections 2 A and B of E.O. 11652, March 10, 1972.
(3) In the case of classified information or material transferred pursuant to statute or Executive order in conjunction with a transfer of function and not merely for storage purposes, the receiving department or agency shall be deemed to be the originating department or agency for all purposes under E.O. 11652, including downgrading and declassification.
(4) In the case of classified information or material not officially transferred under paragraph (a)(3) of this section, but originated in a department or agency which has since ceased to exist, each department or agency in possession shall be deemed to be the originating department or agency for all purposes. Such information or material may be downgraded and declassified after consulting with any other departments or agencies having an interest in the subject matter.
(5) Classified information or material transferred to the General Services Administration for accession to the Archives of the United States shall be downgraded and declassified by the Archivist of the United States in accordance with E.O. 11652, directives of the President issued through the National Security Council, and pertinent regulations of the departments and agencies.
Title 18 published on 2015-08-22.
No entries appear in the Federal Register after this date, for 18 CFR Part 3a.