18 CFR 705.8 - Procedure for effecting compliance.
(a) General. If there appears to be a failure or threatened failure to comply with this part and if the noncompliance or threatened noncompliance cannot be corrected by informal means, the responsible agency official may suspend or terminate, or refuse to grant or continue, Federal financial assistance, or use any other means authorized by law, to induce compliance with this part. Such other means include, but are not limited to, (1) a reference to the Department of Justice with a recommendation that appropriate proceedings be brought to enforce any rights of the United States under any law of the United States (including other titles of the Act), or any assurance or other contractual undertaking, and (2) any applicable proceeding under State or local law.
(b) Noncompliance with assurance requirement. If an applicant or recipient fails or refuses to furnish an assurance required under § 705.5 or fails or refuses to comply with the provisions of the assurance it has furnished, or otherwise fails or refuses to comply with any requirement imposed by or pursuant to Title VI or this part, Federal financial assistance may be suspended, terminated, or refused in accordance with the procedures of Title VI and this part. The Water Resources Council shall not be required to provide assistance in such a case during the pendency of administrative proceedings under this part, except that the Council will continue assistance during the pendency of such proceedings whenever such assistance is due and payable pursuant to a final commitment made or an application finally approved prior to the effective date of this part.
(c) Termination of or refusal to grant or to continue Federal financial assistance. No order suspending, terminating, or refusing to grant or continue Federal financial assistance shall become effective until:
(1) The responsible agency official has advised the applicant or recipient of his failure to comply and has determined that compliance cannot be secured by voluntary means;
(2) There has been an express finding on the record, after opportunity for hearing, of a failure by the applicant or recipient to comply with a requirement imposed by or pursuant to this part;
(3) The action has been approved by the Chairman of the Water Resources Council pursuant to § 705.10(e); and
(4) The expiration of 30 days after the responsible agency official has filed with the committee of the House and the committee of the Senate having legislative jurisdiction over the program involved, a full written report of the circumstances and the grounds for such action. Any action to suspend or terminate or to refuse to grant or to continue Federal financial assistance shall be limited to the particular political entity, or part thereof, or other applicant or recipient as to whom such a finding has been made and shall be limited in its effect to the particular program, or part thereof, in which such noncompliance has been so found.
(d) Other means authorized by law. No action to effect compliance with Title VI of the Act by any other means authorized by law shall be taken until:
(1) The responsible agency official has determined that compliance cannot be secured by voluntary means;
(2) The recipient or other person has been notified or its failure to comply and of the action to be taken to effect compliance; and
(3) The expiration of at least 10 days from the mailing of such notice to the recipient or other person. During this period of at least 10 days, additional efforts shall be made to persuade the recipient or other person to comply with the regulation and to take such corrective action as may be appropriate.
Title 18 published on 2014-04-01.
No entries appear in the Federal Register after this date, for 18 CFR Part 705.