20 CFR § 341.2 - Sum or damages paid or payable.
(a) The term “sum or damages paid or payable” means the amount of money that an employee recovers because of any claim of liability based upon his or her injury or illness.
(b) The term “sum or damages paid or payable” does not include:
(1) An amount specified in a settlement or award as payment for any loss of property, or the amount of a settlement or award specifically apportioned as pay for lost time.
(2) An amount paid as a result of a lawsuit based on wrongful death.
(3) Workers' compensation payments.
(4) “No-Fault” personal-injury protection benefits or any other benefits paid under a health, sickness, accident or similar insurance policy carried by an employee.
(5) Payments made to an employee under the terms of his or her insurance policy providing for payment of all amounts that the employee is legally entitled to recover for bodily injury from the owner or operator of an uninsured motor vehicle.