20 CFR § 688.300 - Who is an eligible participant?
(1) Not less than age 16 and not more than age 24 on the date of enrollment;
(2) A school dropout or an individual who has dropped out of school and has subsequently reenrolled; and
(3) Is one or more of the following:
(i) A member of a low-income family;
(ii) A youth in foster care;
(iii) An offender;
(iv) A youth who is an individual with a disability;
(v) The child of a current or formerly incarcerated parent; or
(vi) A migrant youth.
(b) Exceptions. Not more than 25 percent of the participants in a program, under this section, may be individuals who do not meet the requirements of paragraph (a)(2) or (3) of this section, if such individuals:
(1) Are basic skills deficient, as defined in § 688.120, despite attainment of a secondary school diploma or its recognized State equivalent (including recognized certificates of attendance or similar documents for individuals with disabilities); or
(2) Have been referred by a local secondary school for participation in a YouthBuild program leading to the attainment of a secondary school diploma if such referral is to a YouthBuild program offering a secondary school diploma.