20 CFR 725.222 - Conditions of entitlement; parent, brother, or sister.
(a) An individual is eligible for benefits as a surviving parent, brother or sister if all of the following requirements are met:
(1) The individual is the parent, brother, or sister of a deceased miner;
(2) The individual was dependent on the miner at the pertinent time;
(3) Proof of support is filed within 2 years after the miner's death, unless the time is extended for good cause (§ 725.226);
(4) In the case of a brother or sister, such individual also:
(ii) Is under a disability as defined in section 223(d) of the Social Security Act, 42 U.S.C. 423(d), which began before such individual attained age 22, or in the case of a student, before the student ceased to be a student; or
(iii) Is a student (see § 725.209(b)); or
(5) The deceased miner:
(i) Is determined to have died due to pneumoconiosis; or
(ii) Filed a claim for benefits on or after January 1, 1982, which results or resulted in a final award of benefits, and the surviving parent, brother or sister filed a claim for benefits after January 1, 2005 which was pending on or after March 23, 2010.
(1) A parent is not entitled to benefits if the deceased miner was survived by a spouse or child at the time of such miner's death.
(2) A brother or sister is not entitled to benefits if the deceased miner was survived by a spouse, child, or parent at the time of such miner's death.
Title 20 published on 2015-04-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 20 CFR Part 725 after this date.