22 CFR § 141.4 - Assurances required.
(1) Every application for Federal financial assistance to which this part applies, as a condition to its approval and the extension of any Federal financial assistance pursuant to the application, shall contain or be accompanied by an assurance that the program will be conducted or the facility operated in compliance with all requirements imposed by or pursuant to this part. The assurance shall obligate the recipient for the period during which Federal financial assistance is extended pursuant to the application.
(2) In any case where the Federal assistance is to provide, or is in the form of personal property, or real property or structures or any interest therein, or such property is acquired as a result of and in connection with such assistance, the assurance shall obligate the recipient, or, in case of subsequent transfers, the transferees, for the period during which the property is used for a purpose for which the Federal assistance was, or is extended, or for another purpose involving the provision of similar services and benefits, or for as long as the recipient retains ownership or possession of the property, whichever is longer. Any assurance relating to property provided under or acquired as a result of or in connection with such assistance shall as appropriate require any instrument effecting or recording transfer, title or other evidence of ownership or right to possession, to include a covenant or condition assuring nondiscrimination for the period of obligation of the recipient or any transferee, which may contain a right to be reserved to the Department to revert title or right to possession. Where no transfer of property is involved, but property is improved or any interest of the recipient or transferee therein is increased as a result of Federal financial assistance, the recipient or transferee shall agree to include such covenant or condition in any subsequent transfer of such property. Failure to comply with any such conditions or requirements contained in such assurances shall render the recipient and the transferees, where appropriate, presumptively in noncompliance.
(3) The responsible Departmental official shall specify the form of the foregoing assurances, and the extent to which like assurances will be required of subgrantees, contractors and subcontractors, transferees, successors in interest, and other participants. Any such assurance shall include provisions which give the United States a right to seek its judicial enforcement.
(b) Assurances from institutions.
(1) In the case of any application for Federal financial assistance to an institution of higher education, including assistance for construction, for research, for a special training project, for student loans, or for any other purpose, the assurance required by this section shall extend to admission practices and to all other practices relating to the treatment of students.
(2) The assurance required with respect to an institution of higher education, or any other institution, insofar as the assurance relates to the institution's practices with respect to admission or other treatment of individuals as students, or clients of the institution or to the opportunity to participate in the provision of services or other benefits to such individuals, shall be applicable to the entire institution.
(c) Elementary and secondary schools. The requirements of paragraph (a)(1) of this section, with respect to any elementary or secondary school or school system shall be deemed to be satisfied if such school or school system (1) is subject to a final order of a court of the United States for the desegregation of such school or school system, and provides an assurance that it will comply with such order, or (2) submits a plan the desegregation of such school or school system which the responsible official of the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare determines is adequate to accomplish the purposes of the Act and this part within the earliest practicable time, and provides reasonable assurance that it will carry out such plan; in any case of continuing Federal financial assistance the responsible official of the Department of Health, Education and Welfare may reserve the right to redetermine, after such period as may be specified by him the adequacy of the plan to accomplish the purposes of the Act and this part. In any case in which a final order of a court of the United States for the desegregation of such school or school system is entered after submission of such a plan, such plan shall be revised to conform to such final order, including any future modification of such order.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.