23 CFR 660.109 - Program development.
(a) The FHWA will arrange and conduct a conference with the FS and the SHA to jointly select the projects which will be included in the programs for the current fiscal year and at least the next 4 years. Projects included in each year's program will be selected considering the following criteria:
(1) The development, utilization, protection, and administration of the NFS and its resources;
(2) The enhancement of economic development at the local, regional, and national level, including tourism and recreational travel;
(3) The continuity of the transportation network serving the NFS and its dependent communities;
(4) The mobility of the users of the transportation network and the goods and services provided;
(5) The improvement of the transportation network for economy of operation and maintenance and the safety of its users;
(6) The protection and enhancement of the rural environment associated with the NFS and its resources; and
(7) The results for FHs from the pavement, bridge, and safety management systems.
(b) The recommended program will be prepared and approved by the FHWA with concurrence by the FS and the SHA. Following approval, the SHA shall advise any other cooperators in the State of the projects included in the final program and shall include the approved program in the State's process for development of the Statewide Transportation Improvement Program. For projects located in metropolitan areas, the FHWA and the SHA will work with the MPO to incorporate the approved program into the MPO's Transportation Improvement Program.