24 CFR 1.5 - Assurances required.
(1) Every contract for Federal financial assistance to carry out a program or activity to which this part 1 applies, executed on or after January 3, 1965, and every application for such Federal financial assistance submitted on or after January 3, 1965, shall, as a condition to its approval and the extension of any Federal financial assistance pursuant to such contract or application, contain or be accompanied by an assurance that the program or activity will be conducted and the housing, accommodations, facilities, services, financial aid, or other benefits to be provided will be operated and administered in compliance with all requirements imposed by or pursuant to this part 1. In the case of a contract or application where the Federal financial assistance is to provide or is in the form of personal property or real property or interest therein or structures thereon, the assurance shall obligate the recipient or, in the case of a subsequent transfer, the transferee, for the period during which the property is used for a purpose for which the Federal financial assistance is extended or for another purpose involving the provision of similar services or benefits, or for as long as the recipient retains ownership or possession of the property, whichever is longer. In all other cases the assurance shall obligate the recipient for the period during which Federal financial assistance is extended pursuant to the contract or application. The responsible Department official shall specify the form of the foregoing assurance for such program or activity, and the extent to which like assurances will be required of subgrantees, contractors and subcontractors, transferees, successors in interest, and other participants in the program or activity. Any such assurance shall include provisions which give the United States a right to seek its judicial enforcement.
(2) In the case of real property, structures or improvements thereon, or interests therein, acquired through a program of Federal financial assistance the instrument effecting any disposition by the recipient of such real property, structures or improvements thereon, or interests therein, shall contain a covenant running with the land assuring nondiscrimination for the period during which the real property is used for a purpose for which the Federal financial assistance is extended or for another purpose involving the provision of similar services or benefits. In the case where Federal financial assistance is provided in the form of a transfer of real property or interests therein from the Federal Government, the instrument effecting or recording the transfer shall contain such a covenant.
(3) In program receiving Federal financial assistance in the form, or for the acquisition, of real property or an interest in real property, to the extent that rights to space on, over, or under any such property are included as part of the program receiving such assistance, the nondiscrimination requirements of this part 1 shall extend to any facility located wholly or in part in such space.
(b)Preexisting contracts - funds not disbursed. In any case where a contract for Federal financial assistance, to carry out a program or activity to which this part 1 applies, has been executed prior to January 3, 1965, and the funds have not been fully disbursed by the Department, the responsible Department official shall, where necessary to effectuate the purposes of this part 1, require an assurance similar to that provided in paragraph (a) of this section as a condition to the disbursement of further funds.
(c)Preexisting contracts - periodic payments. In any case where a contract for Federal financial assistance, to carry out a program or activity to which this part 1 applies, has been executed prior to January 3, 1965, and provides for periodic payments for the continuation of the program or activity, the recipient shall, in connection with the first application for such periodic payments on or after January 3, 1965: (1) Submit a statement that the program or activity is being conducted in compliance with all requirements imposed by or pursuant to this part 1 and (2) provide such methods of administration for the program or activity as are found by the responsible Department official to give reasonable assurance that the recipient will comply with all requirements imposed by or pursuant to this part 1.
(d)Assurances from institutions.
(1) In the case of any application for Federal financial assistance to an institution of higher education, the assurance required by this section shall extend to admission practices and to all other practices relating to the treatment of students.
(2) The assurance required with respect to an institution of higher education, hospital, or any other institution, insofar as the assurance relates to the institution's practices with respect to admission or other treatment of persons as students, patients, or clients of the institution or to the opportunity to participate in the provision of services or other benefits to such persons, shall be applicable to the entire institution unless the applicant establishes, to the satisfaction of the responsible Department official, that the institution's practices in designated parts or programs of the institution will in no way affect its practices in the program of the institution for which Federal financial assistance is sought, or the beneficiaries of or participants in such program. If in any such case the assistance sought is for the construction of a facility or part of a facility, the assurance shall in any event extend to the entire facility and to facilities operated in connection therewith.
(e)Elementary and secondary schools. The requirements of this section with respect to any elementary or secondary school or school system shall be deemed to be satisfied if such school or school system (1) is subject to a final order of a court of the United States for the desegregation of such school or school system, and provides an assurance that it will comply with such order, including any future modification of such order, or (2) submits a plan for the desegregation of such school or school system which the responsible official of the Department of Health and Human Services determines is adequate to accomplish the purposes of the Act and this part 1 within the earliest practicable time, and provides reasonable assurance that it will carry out such plan.