24 CFR 206.53 - Refinancings.
(a) General. This section implements section 255(k) of NHA. Except as otherwise provided in this section, all requirements applicable to the insurance of home equity conversion mortgages under this part apply to the insurance of refinancings under this section. HUD may, upon application by a mortgagee, insure any mortgage given to refinance an existing home equity conversion mortgage insured under this part, including loans assigned to the Secretary as described in § 206.107(a)(1) and § 206.121(b) under this part.
(b) Definition of “total cost of the refinancing.” For purposes of paragraphs (c) and (d) of this section, the term “total cost of the refinancing” means the sum of the allowable charges and fees permitted under § 206.31 and the initial MIP described in § 206.105(a) and paragraph (c) of this section.
(c) Initial MIP limit. The initial MIP paid by the mortgagee pursuant to § 206.105(a) shall not exceed two percent of the increase in the maximum claim amount (i.e., the difference between the maximum claim amount for the new home equity conversion mortgage and the maximum claim amount for the existing home equity conversion mortgage that is being refinanced).
(d) Anti-churning disclosure -
(1) Contents of anti-churning disclosure. In addition to providing the required disclosures under § 206.43, the mortgagee shall provide to the mortgagor its best estimate of:
(i) The total cost of the refinancing to the mortgagor; and
(ii) The increase in the mortgagor's principal limit as measured by the estimated initial principal limit on the mortgage to be insured less the current principal limit on the home equity conversion mortgage that is being refinanced under this section.
(2) Timing of anti-churning disclosure. The mortgagee shall provide the anti-churning disclosure concurrently with the disclosures required under § 206.43.
(e) Waiver of counseling requirement. The mortgagor may elect not to receive counseling under § 206.41, but only if:
(1) The mortgagor has received the anti-churning disclosure required under paragraph (d) of this section.
(2) The increase in the mortgagor's principal limit (as provided in the anti-churning disclosure) exceeds the total cost of the refinancing by an amount established by the Secretary through Federal Register notice. HUD may periodically update this amount through publication of a notice in the Federal Register. Publication of any such revised amount will occur at least 30 days before the revision becomes effective.
(3) The time between the date of the closing on the original home equity conversion mortgage and the date of the application for refinancing under this section does not exceed five years (even if less than five years have passed since a previous refinancing under this section).