24 CFR 207.259 - Insurance benefits.
(a)Method of payment.
(1) Upon either an assignment of the mortgage to the Commissioner or a conveyance of the property to the Commissioner in accordance with requirements in § 207.258, payment of an insurance claim shall be made in cash, in debentures, or in a combination of both, as determined by the Commissioner either at, or prior to, the time of payment.
(i) The amount of all payments made by the mortgagee for taxes, special assessments and water rates which are liens prior to the mortgage; for insurance on the property; and for any mortgage insurance premiums paid after default.
(iii) An amount equivalent to the debenture interest which would have been earned on the portion of the insurance benefits paid in cash, as of the date such cash payment is made, except that when the mortgagee fails to meet any one of the applicable requirements of §§ 207.256 and 207.258 within the specified time and in a manner satisfactory to the Commissioner (or within such further time as the Commissioner may approve in writing), the interest allowance in such cash payment shall be computed only to the date on which the particular required action should have been taken or to which it was extended.
(iv) An amount equivalent to 1 percent of the mortgage funds advanced to the mortgagor and not repaid as of the date of default, except that all or part of the 1 percent may be waived by the Commissioner if, at his request and in lieu of foreclosure, the mortgage is assigned to the Secretary.
(v) In the case of a lender receiving insurance benefits for the full Mortgage amount upon the Commissioner's endorsement of the Mortgage for full insurance pursuant to 24 CFR parts 251, 252, or 255, the amount of the fee set forth through Federal Register notice. HUD may, in its discretion, collect this fee rather than deducting the fee from the total of the items computed under paragraph (b)(1) of this section.
(vi) Except for multifamily project mortgages for which HUD issued a firm commitment for mortgage insurance before September 1, 2011, and for multifamily project mortgages insured under section 232 of the Act ( 12 U.S.C. 1715w) and under section 242 of the Act ( 12 U.S.C. 1715z-7), when there is a covenant default as defined in § 207.255(a)(1)(ii) and a mortgagee refuses to comply promptly with the Commissioner's request to accelerate payment pursuant to § 207.257, an amount equal to the difference between the project's market value as of the date of the Commissioner's request and the project's market value as of the date the mortgagee makes an election to assign the mortgage, or convey title to the project, as determined by appraisal procedures established by the Commissioner.
(vii) For multifamily project mortgages for which HUD issued a firm commitment for mortgage insurance on or after September 1, 2011, the regulations of paragraph (b)(2)(vi) of this section shall apply, unless the mortgagor demonstrates to the satisfaction of the Commissioner that financial hardship to the mortgagor would result from application of the regulations in paragraph (b)(2)(vi) of this section due to the reasonable expectations of the mortgagor that the transaction would close under the regulations in effect prior to September 1, 2011, in which case, the regulations of paragraph (b)(2)(vi) shall not apply.
(c)Amount of payment; conveyance of property. If the property is conveyed to the Commissioner, the insurance benefits shall be paid in an amount determined in accordance with paragraph (b) of this section, except that the item set forth in paragraph (b)(2)(iv) of this section shall not be deducted.
(d)Issuance of certificate of claim. In addition to the insurance benefits paid under paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, a certificate of claim shall be issued to the mortgagee.
(1) In the case of an assignment of the mortgage, the certificate shall be for an amount which the Commissioner determines to be sufficient, when added to the amount of the insurance benefits to equal the amount the mortgagee would have received if, on the date of assignment to the Commissioner, the mortgagor had paid in full all obligations under the mortgage. Where a conveyance is involved, there shall also be included in the certificate an allowance in a reasonable amount for any necessary expenses incurred by the mortgagee in connection with the foreclosure proceedings or the acquisition of the mortgaged property otherwise and in connection with the conveyance of the property to the Commissioner.
(2) The certificate of claim shall provide for an uncompounded annual interest increment of 3 percent to begin as of the date of either assignment or conveyance.
(e)Issuance of debentures. Where debentures are issued, they shall meet the following requirements:
(1) Be issued as of the date of default.
(2) Be registered as to principal and interest.
(3) At the option of the Commissioner and with the approval of the Secretary of the Treasury, be redeemable at par plus accrued interest on any semiannual interest payment date on 3 months' notice of redemption given in such manner as the Commissioner shall prescribe. The debenture interest on the debentures called for redemption shall cease on the semiannual interest payment date designated in the call notice. The Commissioner may include with the notice of redemption an offer to purchase the debentures at par plus accrued interest at any time during the period between the notice of redemption and the redemption date. If the debentures are purchased by the Commissioner after such call and prior to the named redemption date, the debenture interest shall cease on the date of purchase.
(4) Mature 20 years from the date thereof.
(5) Be issued in such forms and amounts; and be subject to such terms and conditions; and include such provisions for redemption, if any, as may be prescribed by the Secretary, with the approval of the Secretary of the Treasury; and may be in book entry or certificated registered form, or such other form as the Secretary by regulation may prescribe.
(6) Bear interest from the date of issue, payable semiannually on the first day of January and the first day of July of each year at the rate in effect as of the date the commitment was issued, or as of the date of initial insurance endorsement of the mortgage, whichever rate is higher. The applicable rates of interest will be published twice each year as a notice in the Federal Register.
(7) Debentures representing the portion of the claim applicable to an operating loss loan shall bear interest at the rate in effect as of the date the commitment to insure such loan was issued, or as of the date of endorsement for insurance of such loan, whichever rate is the higher, although debentures representing the portion of the claim applicable to the original mortgage may bear interest at a different rate.
(f)Mortgagee Time Limits for Supplemental Claims for Additional Insurance Benefits. A mortgagee may not file for any additional payments of its mortgage insurance claim more than six months after the date of final settlement of the insurance claim by the Commissioner. For the purpose of this section, the term final settlement shall mean the payment of the insurance claim (in cash or debentures) or billing for any overpayment of a partial claim that is made by the Commissioner. Final settlement is based upon the submission by the mortgagee of all required documents and information pursuant to part 207 of this chapter.
Title 24 published on 2015-08-22
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 24 CFR Part 207 after this date.
- 24 CFR 213.270 — Supplementary Loans; Election of Action; Claims; Debentures.
- 24 CFR 221.762 — Payment of Insurance Benefits.
- 24 CFR 221.763 — Special Insurance Benefits - Forbearance Relief Cases.
- 24 CFR 241.1205 — Payment of Insurance Benefits.
- 24 CFR 241.261 — Payment of Insurance Benefits.
- 24 CFR 236.265 — Payment of Insurance Benefits.
- 24 CFR 241.1215 — Calculation of Insurance Benefits.
- 24 CFR 220.765 — Special Insurance Benefits - Forbearance Relief Cases.
- 24 CFR 207.261 — Capturing Excess Bond Proceeds.
- 24 CFR 207.258b — Partial Payment of Claim.
Title 24 published on 2015-08-22.
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 24.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.