24 CFR 248.223 - Alternative State strategy.
(a) The Commissioner may approve a State strategy providing for State approval of plans of action that involve termination of low income affordability restrictions only upon finding that it is a practicable statewide strategy that ensures at a minimum that -
(1) Current tenants will not be involuntarily displaced (except for good cause);
(2) Housing opportunities for minorities will not be adversely affected in the communities in which the housing is located;
(3) Any increase in rent for current tenants will be to a level that does not exceed 30 percent of the adjusted income of the tenants or fair market rent, whichever is lower, and any increase not necessitated by increased operating costs shall be phased in equally over not less than 3 years if the increase exceeds 10 percent;
(4) Housing approved under the State strategy will remain affordable to very low income, low income and moderate income families for not less than the remaining term of the mortgage, if the housing is to be made available for rental use, or for not less than 40 years, if the housing is to be made available for homeownership;
(i) Not less than 80 percent of all units in eligible low income housing approved under the State strategy will be retained as affordable to families or persons meeting the income eligibility standards for initial occupancy that applied to housing on January 1, 1987; and
(ii) Not less than 60 percent of the units in any one project will remain available to and affordable by such families or persons, within which not less than 20 percent of the units will remain available to and affordable by very low income families;
(6) Expenditures for rehabilitation, maintenance and operation will be at a level necessary to maintain the housing as decent, safe and sanitary and for the period specified in paragraph (a)(4) of this section;
(7) Not less than 25 percent of new assistance required to maintain the housing as available to and affordable by low income families in accordance with this section shall be provided through State and local actions, such as tax exempt financing, low income tax credits, State or local tax concessions, the provision of funds from housing finance agency reserves or housing trust funds, taxable bonds, and other incentives provided by the State or local governments; and
(8) For each unit of eligible low income housing approved under the State strategy that is not retained as affordable housing to families or persons meeting the income eligibility standards for initial occupancy on January 1, 1987, the State will provide, with State funds, one additional unit of comparable housing in the same market area that is available to and affordable by such families and persons. Such units will be provided by conversion of existing units or construction of new units. These units or funds will be made available before the Commissioner approves the State strategy.
(b) Additional requirements.
(1) The State must enter into all agreements necessary to carry out the State strategy before receiving the Commissioner's approval.
(2) Each State strategy shall include any other provision that the Commissioner determines to be necessary to implement the approved State strategy.
Title 24 published on 2015-04-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 24 CFR Part 248 after this date.