24 CFR 5.315 - Content of pet rules: General requirements.
(a) Housing programs. The project owner shall prescribe reasonable rules to govern the keeping of common household pets. The pet rules must include the mandatory rules described in § 5.350 and may, unless otherwise noted in this subpart C, include other discretionary provisions as provided in § 5.318.
(b) Public Housing programs.
(1) PHAs may choose not to promulgate rules governing the keeping of common household pets or may include rules as provided in § 5.318. PHAs may elect to include provisions based on those in § 5.350. If they so choose, the PHAs may modify the provisions in § 5.350 in any manner consistent with this subpart C.
(2) If PHAs choose to promulgate pet rules, tenants must be permitted to own and keep pets in their units in accordance with the terms and conditions of their leases, the provisions of this subpart C, and any applicable State or local law or regulation governing the owning or keeping of pets in dwelling accommodations.
(3) PHAs that choose not to promulgate pet rules, shall not impose, by lease modification or otherwise, any requirement that is inconsistent with the provisions of this subpart C.
(c) Use of discretion.
(1) This subpart C does not define with specificity the limits of the project owners' or PHAs' discretion to promulgate pet rules. Where a project owner or PHA has discretion to prescribe pet rules under this subpart C, the pet rules should be:
(i) Reasonably related to furthering a legitimate interest of the project owner or PHA, such as the owner's or PHA's interest in providing a decent, safe, and sanitary living environment for existing and prospective tenants and in protecting and preserving the physical condition of the project and the owner's or PHA's financial interest in it; and
(ii) Drawn narrowly to achieve the owner's or PHA's legitimate interests, without imposing unnecessary burdens and restrictions on pet owners and prospective pet owners.
(2) Where a project owner or PHA has discretion to prescribe pet rules under this subpart C, the owner or PHA may vary the rules' content among projects and within individual projects, based on factors such as the size, type, location, and occupancy of the project or its units, provided that the applicable rules are reasonable and do not conflict with any applicable State or local law or regulation governing the owning or keeping of pets in dwelling accommodations.
(d) Conflict with State or local law. The pet rules adopted by the project owner or PHA shall not conflict with applicable State or local law or regulations. If such a conflict may exist, the State and local law or regulations shall apply.
Title 24 published on 2015-04-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 24 CFR Part 5 after this date.