24 CFR 984.101 - Purpose, scope, and applicability.
(1) The purpose of the Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) program is to promote the development of local strategies to coordinate the use of public housing assistance and housing assistance under the Section 8 rental certificate and rental voucher programs with public and private resources, to enable families eligible to receive assistance under these programs to achieve economic independence and self-sufficiency.
(2) The purpose of this part is to implement the policies and procedures applicable to operation of a local FSS program, as established under section 23 of the 1937 Act (42 U.S.C. 1437u), under HUD's rental voucher, rental certificate, and public housing programs.
(1) Each PHA that received funding for public housing units under the FY 1991 and FY 1992 FSS incentive award competitions must operate a public housing FSS program.
(2) Each PHA that received funding for Section 8 rental certificates or rental vouchers under the combined FY 1991/1992 FSS incentive award competition must operate a Section 8 FSS program.
(3) Unless the PHA receives an exemption under § 984.105:
(i) Each PHA for which HUD reserved funding (budget authority) for additional rental certificates or rental vouchers in FY 1993 through October 20, 1998 must operate a Section 8 FSS program.
(ii) Each PHA for which HUD reserved funding (budget authority) to acquire or construct additional public housing units in FY 1993 through October 20, 1998 must operate a public housing FSS program.
(c) Applicability. This part applies to:
(1) The public housing program, and
(2) The Section 8 certificate and voucher programs.