24 CFR 984.101 - Purpose, scope, and applicability.
(1) The purpose of the Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) program is to promote the development of local strategies to coordinate the use of public housing assistance and housing assistance under the Section 8 rental certificate and rental voucher programs with public and private resources, to enable families eligible to receive assistance under these programs to achieve economic independence and self-sufficiency.
(2) The purpose of this part is to implement the policies and procedures applicable to operation of a local FSS program, as established under section 23 of the 1937 Act ( 42 U.S.C. 1437u), under HUD's rental voucher, rental certificate, and public housing programs.
(2) Each PHA that received funding for Section 8 rental certificates or rental vouchers under the combined FY 1991/1992 FSS incentive award competition must operate a Section 8 FSS program.
(3) Unless the PHA receives an exemption under § 984.105:
(i) Each PHA for which HUD reserved funding (budget authority) for additional rental certificates or rental vouchers in FY 1993 through October 20, 1998 must operate a Section 8 FSS program.
(c)Applicability. This part applies to:
(1) The public housing program, and
(2) The Section 8 certificate and voucher programs.