25 CFR § 11.605 - Dissolution.

§ 11.605 Dissolution.

(a) The Court of Indian Offenses shall enter a decree of dissolution of marriage if:

(1) The court finds that the marriage is irretrievably broken, if the finding is supported by evidence that (i) the parties have lived separate and apart for a period of more than 180 days next preceding the commencement of the proceeding, or (ii) there is serious marital discord adversely affecting the attitude of one or both of the parties towards the marriage;

(2) The court finds that either party, at the time the action was commenced, was domiciled within the Indian country under the jurisdiction of the court, and that the domicile has been maintained for 90 days next preceding the making of the findings; and

(3) To the extent it has jurisdiction to do so, the court has considered, approved, or provided for child custody, the support of any child entitled to support, the maintenance of either spouse, and the disposition of property; or has provided for a separate later hearing to complete these matters.

(b) If a party requests a decree of legal separation rather than a decree of dissolution of marriage, the Court of Indian Offenses shall grant the decree in that form unless the other party objects.

The following state regulations pages link to this page.