§ 162.356 How will BIA
decide whether to approve a sublease
of a residential lease?
(a) We may disapprove a sublease of a residential lease only if at least one of the following is true:
(1) The Indian landowners have not consented, and their consent is required;
(2) The lessee's mortgagees have not consented;
(3) The lessee is in violation of the lease;
(4) The lessee will not remain liable under the lease;
(5) The requirements of this subpart have not been met; or
(6) We find a compelling reason to withhold our approval in order to protect the best interests of the Indian landowners.
(b) In making the finding required by paragraph (a)(6) of this section, we may consider whether the value of any part of the leased premises not covered by the sublease would be adversely affected.
(c) We will defer, to the maximum extent possible, to the Indian landowners' determination that the sublease is in their best interest.
(d) We may not unreasonably withhold approval of a sublease.