25 CFR § 169.212 - How will BIA decide whether to approve a mortgage of a right-of-way?
(a) We may disapprove a right-of-way mortgage only if at least one of the following is true:
(1) The Indian landowners have not consented;
(2) The grantee's sureties for the bonds have not consented;
(3) The requirements of this subpart have not been met; or
(4) We find a compelling reason to withhold approval in order to protect the best interests of the Indian landowners.
(b) In making the finding required by paragraph (a)(4) of this section, we may consider whether:
(1) The mortgage proceeds would be used for purposes unrelated to the right-of-way purpose; and
(2) The mortgage is limited to the right-of-way.
(c) We will defer, to the maximum extent possible, to the Indian landowners' determination that the mortgage is in their best interest.
(d) We may not unreasonably withhold approval of a right-of-way mortgage.