25 CFR 23.42 - Technical assistance.
(a) Pre-award and ongoing technical assistance may be requested by an Indian tribe or off-reservation Indian organization from the appropriate agency or area office to which the tribe or organization will be submitting an application for funds under subparts C and D of this part. A request for pre-award technical assistance by an off-reservation Indian organization must be received by the Regional Director designated at § 23.11 for the state in which the applicant is located no later than 10 days prior to the application deadline to assure sufficient time for area response.
(b) Pre-award and ongoing technical assistance may be provided by the appropriate BIA agency or area office for purposes of program planning and design, assistance in establishing internal program monitoring and evaluation criteria for ongoing grant administration and management, and for other appropriate assistance requested.
(c) The area social services staff shall provide technical assistance to grantees upon receipt of an authorized request from the grantee or when review of the grantee's quarterly performance reports shows that:
(1) An ICWA program is yielding results that are or will be detrimental to the welfare of the intended Indian beneficiaries of the program;
(2) A program has substantially failed to implement its goals and objectives;
(3) There are serious irregularities in the fiscal management of the grant; or
(4) The grantee is otherwise deficient in its program performance.
(5) Upon receiving an authorized request from the grantee, the area social services staff and/or grants officer shall provide the necessary technical assistance to arrive at mutually determined corrective action measures and their actual implementation, if necessary, and the timeframes within which said corrective actions will be implemented.