25 CFR 700.287 - Petitions for amendment: Submission and form.
(a) Submission of petitions for amendment.
(1) A request for amendment of a record shall be submitted to the system manager for the system of records containing the record unless the system notice describing the system prescribes or permits submission to a different official or officials. If an individual wishes to request amendment of records located in more than one system, a separate petition must be submitted to each system manager.
(2) A petition for amendment of a record may be submitted only if the individual submitting the petition has previously requested and been granted access to the record and has inspected or been given a copy of the record.
(b) Form of petition.
(1) A petition for amendment shall be in writing and shall specifically identify the record whose amendment is sought.
(2) The petition shall state, in detail, the reasons why the petitioner believes the record, or the portion thereof objectionable to him, is not accurate, relevant, timely or complete. Copies of documents or evidence relied upon in support of these reasons shall be submitted with the petition.
(3) The petition shall state, specifically and in detail, the changes sought in the record. If the changes involve rewriting of the record or portions thereof or involve adding new language to the record, the petition shall propose specific language to implement the changes.