25 CFR 700.471 - Review and approval.
(a) Upon receipt of an application for financial assistance under this subpart, members of the Commission staff shall begin a preliminary review of the application with the intent of submitting a recommendation to the Commissioners of whether to accept or deny the application. The Commission staff may inform the applicant before its recommendation to the Commissioners, of any special problems or impediments which may result in a recommendation for disapproval; may offer any available technical assistance required to overcome such problems or impediments; and solicit the applicants written response.
(b) The Commission staff may solicit comments on an application from technical specialists, community groups and others, when such advice is needed to fully evaluate the application.
(1) The application meets the requirements of this subpart;
(2) The application meets the intent of the Act;
(3) The application fully demonstrates that it will expedite the relocation and resettlement of individuals under the Act and ease the hardship incurred by these individuals or by the Tribes;
(4) The application is compatible with priorities identified by the Commission;
(5) The applicant can carry out the activities described in the application and can maintain proper financial controls on the activities for which financial assistance is requested;
(6) The applicant can and will comply with requirements for Indian preference in employment and training in connection with the administration of the grant, and preference to Indian organizations and Indian owned economic enterprises in the award of subcontracts or subgrants; and
(7) Funds are available.
(d) All applicants shall be notified in writing of the Commission's approval or disapproval of the grant applications.