25 CFR 84.004 - Are there types of contracts and agreements that do not require Secretarial approval under this part?

§ 84.004 Are there types of contracts and agreements that do not require Secretarial approval under this part?

Yes, the following types of contracts or agreements do not require Secretarial approval under this part:

(a) Contracts or agreements otherwise reviewed and approved by the Secretary under this title or other federal law or regulation. See, for example, 25 CFR parts 152 (patents in fee, certificates or competency); 162 (non-mineral leases, leasehold mortgages); 163 (timber contracts); 166 (grazing permits); 169 (rights-of-way); 200 (coal leases); 211 (mineral leases); 216 (surface mining permits and leases); and 225 (mineral development agreements);

(b) Leases of tribal land that are exempt from approval by the Secretary under 25 U.S.C. 415 or 25 U.S.C. 477;

(c) Sublease and assignments of leases of tribal land that do not require approval by the Secretary under part 162 of this title;

(d) Contracts or agreements that convey to tribal members any rights for temporary use of tribal lands, assigned by Indian tribes in accordance with tribal laws or custom;

(e) Contracts or agreements that do not convey exclusive or nearly exclusive proprietary control over tribal lands for a period of seven years or more;

(f) Contracts or agreements that are exempt from Secretarial approval under the terms of a corporate charter authorized by 25 U.S.C. 477;

(g) Tribal attorney contracts, including those for the Five Civilized Tribes that are subject to our approval under 25 U.S.C. 82a;

(h) Contracts or agreements entered into in connection with a contract under the Indian Self-Determination Act, 25 U.S.C. 450f, or a compact under the Tribal Self-Governance Act, 25 U.S.C. 458aa.

(i) Contracts or agreements that are subject to approval by the National Indian Gaming Commission under the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act, 25 U.S.C. 2701et seq., and the Commission's regulations; or

(j) Contracts or agreements relating to the use of tribal lands for hydropower projects where the tribal lands meet the definition of a “reservation” under the Federal Power Act (FPA), provided that:

(1) Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) has issued a license or an exemption;

(2) FERC has made the finding under section 4(e) of the FPA ( 16 U.S.C. 797(e)) that the license or exemption will not interfere or be inconsistent with the purpose for which such reservation was created or acquired; and

(3) FERC license or exemption includes the Secretary's conditions for protection and utilization of the reservation under section 4(e) and payment of annual use charges to the tribe under section 10(e) of the FPA ( 16 U.S.C. 803(e)).

This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.

This list is taken from the Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules provided by GPO [Government Printing Office].

It is not guaranteed to be accurate or up-to-date, though we do refresh the database weekly. More limitations on accuracy are described at the GPO site.

United States Code
Public Laws