26 CFR 1.6038D-4 - Information required to be reported.
(a)Required information. The following information must be reported on Form 8938, “Statement of Specified Foreign Financial Assets,” with respect to each specified foreign financial asset:
(6) In the case of a financial account that is a depository account as defined in § 1.1471-5(b)(3)(i) or a custodial account as defined in § 1.1471-5(b)(3)(ii), whether the account was opened or closed during the taxable year;
(7) The date, if any, on which the specified foreign financial asset, other than a financial account that is a depository account as defined in § 1.1471-5(b)(3)(i) or a custodial account as defined in § 1.1471-5(b)(3)(ii), was either acquired or disposed of (or both) during the taxable year;
(8) The amount of any income, gain, loss, deduction, or credit recognized for the taxable year with respect to the reported specified foreign financial asset, and the schedule, form, or return filed with the Internal Revenue Service on which the income, gain, loss, deduction, or credit, if any, is reported or included by the specified person;
(9) The foreign currency in which the account is maintained or the asset is denominated, the foreign currency exchange rate and, if the source of such rate is other than as described in § 1.6038D-5(c)(1), the source of the rate used to determine the specified foreign financial asset's U.S. dollar value, including maximum value;
(10) For any specified foreign financial asset excepted from reporting on Form 8938 under § 1.6038D-7(a), the specified person must report the number of Forms 3520, “Annual Return To Report Transactions With Foreign Trusts and Receipt of Certain Foreign Gifts,” Forms 3520-A, “Annual Information Return of Foreign Trust With a U.S. Owner,” Forms 5471, “Information Return of U.S. Persons With Respect To Certain Foreign Corporations,” Forms 8621, “Return by a Shareholder of a Passive Foreign Investment Company or a Qualified Electing Fund,” Forms 8865, “Return of U.S. Persons With Respect To Certain Foreign Partnerships,” and, solely for taxable years beginning after March 18, 2010, and ending on or before December 31, 2013, Forms 8891, “U.S. Information Return for Beneficiaries of Certain Canadian Registered Retirement Plans,” or such other form under Title 26 of the United States Code identified by the Secretary under § 1.6038D-7(a), timely filed with the Internal Revenue Service on which excepted foreign financial assets are reported or reflected for the taxable year; and
(11) Such other information as may be required by Form 8938 or its instructions or other guidance.
(b)Effective/applicability dates. This section applies to taxable years ending after December 19, 2011. Taxpayers may elect to apply the rules of this section to taxable years ending prior to December 19, 2011.