26 CFR 301.6011-3 - Required use of magnetic media for partnership returns.
(a) Partnership returns required on magnetic media. If a partnership with more than 100 partners is required to file a partnership return pursuant to § 1.6031(a)-1 of this chapter, the information required by the applicable forms and schedules must be filed on magnetic media, except as otherwise provided in paragraph (b) of this section. Returns filed on magnetic media must be made in accordance with applicable revenue procedures or publications. In prescribing revenue procedures or publications, the Commissioner may determine that partnerships will be required to use any one form of magnetic media filing. For example, the Commissioner may determine that partnerships with more than 100 partners must file their partnership returns electronically. In filing its return, a partnership must register to participate in the magnetic media filing program in the manner prescribed by the Internal Revenue Service in applicable revenue procedures or publications.
(b) Waiver. The Commissioner may waive the requirements of this section if hardship is shown in a request for waiver filed in accordance with this paragraph (b). A determination of hardship will be based upon all of the facts and circumstances. One factor in determining hardship will be the reasonableness of the incremental cost to the partnership of complying with the magnetic media filing requirements. Other factors, such as equipment breakdowns or destruction of magnetic media filing equipment, also may be considered. A request for waiver must be made in accordance with applicable revenue procedures or publications. The waiver will specify the type of partnership return and the period to which it applies. The waiver will also be subject to such terms and conditions regarding the method of filing as may be prescribed by the Commissioner.
(c) Failure to file. If a partnership fails to file a partnership return on magnetic media in the manner required and when required to do so by this section, the partnership will be deemed to have failed to file the return in the manner prescribed for purposes of the information return penalty under section 6721. See § 301.6724-1(c)(3) for rules regarding the waiver of penalties for undue economic hardship relating to filing returns on magnetic media.
(d) Meaning of terms. The following definitions apply for purposes of this section:
(1) Magnetic media. The term magnetic media means any magnetic media permitted under applicable regulations, revenue procedures, or publications. These generally include magnetic tape, tape cartridge, and diskette, as well as other media (such as electronic filing) specifically permitted under the applicable regulations, procedures, or publications.
(2) Partnership. The term partnership means a partnership as defined in § 1.761-1(a) of this chapter.
(3) Partner. The term partner means a member of a partnership as defined in section 7701(a)(2).
(4) Partnership return. The term partnership return means a form in Series 1065 (including Form 1065, U.S. Partnership Return of Income, and Form 1065-B, U.S. Return of Income for Electing Large Partnerships), along with the corresponding Schedules K-1 and all other related forms and schedules that are required to be attached to the Series 1065 form.
(5) Partnerships with more than 100 partners. A partnership has more than 100 partners if, over the course of the partnership's taxable year, the partnership had more than 100 partners, regardless of whether a partner was a partner for the entire year or whether the partnership had over 100 partners on any particular day in the year. For purposes of this paragraph (d)(5), however, only those persons having a direct interest in the partnership must be considered partners for purposes of determining the number of partners during the partnership's taxable year.
(e) Examples. The following examples illustrate the provisions of paragraph (d)(5) of this section. In the examples, the partnerships utilize the calendar year, and the taxable year in question is 2000:
(f) Effective date. In general, this section applies to partnership returns for taxable years ending on or after December 31, 2000. However, electing large partnerships under section 775 and partnerships using foreign addresses on their Series 1065 forms are not required to file using magnetic media for taxable years ending before January 1, 2001.
Title 26 published on 2015-04-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 26 CFR Part 301 after this date.