26 CFR § 40.6011(a)-1 - Returns.
(a) In general -
(1) Return required. The return of any tax to which this part 40 applies must be made on Form 720, Quarterly Federal Excise Tax Return, according to the instructions applicable to the form. The requirement for filing a return under this part 40 applies separately to each tax listed by IRS Number on Form 720. Except as provided in this paragraph (a)(1), an entry must be made on the line for the IRS Number in order to file a return of the tax corresponding to that number. The entry on an IRS Number line of the word “none,” “zero,” or comparable entry clearly indicating a denial of liability constitutes a return of that tax. The entry of the word “none” across the return or in the summary portion, provided it clearly indicates a denial of liability for all taxes, constitutes a return of all taxes listed on Form 720.
(2) Period covered by return -
(i) In general. Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section, the return must be made for a period of one calendar quarter. A return must be filed for the first calendar quarter in which liability for tax is incurred (or in which tax must be collected and paid over) and for each subsequent calendar quarter, whether or not liability is incurred (or tax must be collected and paid over) during that subsequent quarter, until a final return under § 40.6011(a)-2 is filed. In the case of one-time filings (as defined in § 40.6011(a)-2(b)) and returns of floor stocks taxes under § 40.6011(a)-2(c), a first return is also a final return.
(iii) Floor stocks tax return. A return reporting liability for a floor stocks tax described in § 40.0-1(a) is a return for the calendar quarter in which the tax payment is due and not the calendar quarter in which the liability for tax is incurred.
(3) Person required to file the return. Except in the case of a tax required to be collected and paid over, the person incurring liability for tax must file the return. In the case of a tax required to be collected and paid over, the person required to collect the tax (and not the person incurring liability) must file the return.
(b) Monthly and semimonthly returns -
(1) In general. If the district director determines that any person that is required under this section to file returns has failed to comply in a timely manner with the requirements of this part 40 relating to returns, payments, and deposits of tax, that person will be required, if so notified in writing by the district director, to make a return for a monthly or semimonthly period (as defined in § 40.0-1(c)). Each person so notified by the district director must make a return for the calendar month or semimonthly period in which the notice is received and for each calendar month or semimonthly period thereafter until the person has filed a final return or until the person is notified by the district director to resume making quarterly returns.
(2) Certain persons liable for tax on taxable fuel. The district director may require a person to make a return of tax for a monthly or semimonthly period in the manner prescribed in paragraph (b)(1) of this section if the person -
(i) Is a bonded registrant (as defined in § 48.4101-1(b) of this chapter) at any time during the period;
(ii) Has been registered under section 4101 for less than one year at the beginning of the period;
(iv) Has failed to comply with the applicable provisions of § 48.4101-1(h) of this chapter (relating to the terms and conditions of registration);
(v) Is liable for tax under § 48.4082-4(a) of this chapter (relating to the back-up tax on diesel fuel and kerosene) at any time during the period; or
(vi) Is liable for tax under section 4081 (relating to the tax on taxable fuel) at any time during the period and is not registered under section 4101 at that time.
(c) Fees on health insurance policies and self-insured health plans -
(1) In general. A return that reports liability imposed by section 4375 or 4376 is a return for policies or plans with policy or plan years ending in the previous calendar year, and, for issuers that determine the average number of lives covered under a policy for purposes of section 4375 using the member months method under § 46.4375-1(c)(2)(v) or the state form method under § 46.4375-1(c)(2)(vi) of this chapter, the return is for all policies in effect during the previous calendar year. The second sentence of paragraph (a)(2)(i) of this section (relating to filing quarterly returns regardless of whether liability is incurred) does not apply to a person that files a Form 720, “Quarterly Federal Excise Tax Return,” only to report liability imposed by section 4375 or 4376.
(2) Applicability date. This paragraph (c) applies to returns that report liability imposed by section 4375 or 4376.