(a)Beer returned to brewery or voluntarily destroyed at a location other than a brewery. Claims for refund of tax on beer returned to a brewery under the provisions of § 25.213 or voluntarily destroyed at a location other than a brewery shall include:
(1) The name and address of the brewer filing the claim, the address of the brewery from which the beer was removed, and the address of the brewery to which the beer was returned, as applicable;
(2) The quantity of beer covered by the claim and the rate(s) of tax at which the beer was tax paid or determined;
(3) The amount of tax for which the claim is filed;
(4) The reason for return or voluntary destruction of the beer and the related facts;
(5) Whether the brewer is indemnified by insurance or otherwise in respect of the tax, and if so, the nature of the indemnification;
(6) The claimant's reasons for believing the claim should be allowed;
(7) The date the beer was returned to the brewery, if applicable;
(8) The name of the person from whom the beer was received;
(9) A statement that the tax has been fully paid or determined; and
(10) A reference to the notice (if required) filed under §§ 25.213 or 25.222.
(b)Beer lost, destroyed, or rendered unmerchantable. Claims for refund of tax on beer lost, whether by theft or otherwise, or destroyed or otherwise rendered unmerchantable by fire, casualty, or act of God shall contain:
(1) Information required by paragraphs (a)(1), (2), (3), (5), and (6) of this section;
(2) A statement of the circumstances surrounding the loss;
(3) When applicable, the reason the beer rendered unmerchantable cannot be returned to the market for consumption or sale;
(4) Date of the loss, and if lost in transit, the name of the carrier;
(5) A reference incorporating the notice required by § 25.282; and
(6) When possible, affidavits of persons having knowledge of the loss, unless the affidavits are contained in the notice given under § 25.282.
(c)Voluntary destruction of taxpaid beer which was never removed from brewery premises. Claims for refund or credit of tax on beer voluntarily destroyed under the provisions of § 25.225, shall include:
(1) Information required by paragraphs (a)(1), (a)(2), (a)(3), (a)(5), and (a)(9) of this section; and
(2) The information contained in the record required by § 25.225(b).
(d)Additional evidence. The appropriate TTB officer may require the submission of additional evidence in support of any claim filed under this section.
(e)Filing of claim. Claim for refund of tax shall be filed on Form 2635 (5620.8). Claims shall be filed within 6 months after the date of the return, loss, destruction, or rendering unmerchantable. Claims will not be allowed if filed after the prescribed time or if the claimant was indemnified by insurance or otherwise in respect of the tax.
(Sec. 201, Pub. L. 85-859, 72 Stat. 1335, as amended (26 U.S.C. 5056))
[T.D. ATF-224, 51 FR 7673, Mar. 5, 1987, as amended by T.D. ATF-251, 52 FR 19314, May 22, 1987; T.D. ATF-268, 53 FR 8629, Mar. 16, 1988; T.D. ATF-437, 66 FR 5480, Jan. 19, 2001]
Title 27 published on 2014-04-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 27.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.