28 CFR 32.7 - Fees for representative services.
(a) A person seeking to receive any amount from (or with respect to) a claimant for representative services provided in connection with any claim may petition the PSOB Office for authorization under this section. Such petition shall include -
(1) An itemized description of the services;
(2) The total amount sought to be received, from any source, as consideration for the services;
(3) An itemized description of any representative or other services provided to (or on behalf of) the claimant in connection with other claims or causes of action, unrelated to the Act, before any public agency or non-public entity (including any insurer), arising from the public safety officer's death, disability, or injury;
(4) The total amount requested, charged, received, or sought to be received, from any source, as consideration for the services described in paragraph (a)(3) of this section;
(5) A statement of whether the petitioner has legal training or is licensed to practice law, and a description of any special qualifications possessed by the petitioner (other than legal training or a license to practice law) that increased the value of his services to (or on behalf of) the claimant;
(i) A copy of the petition; and
(7) A copy of the letter described in paragraph (a)(6)(ii) of this section.
(b) Unless, for good cause shown, the Director extends the time for filing, no petition under paragraph (a) of this section shall be considered if the petition is filed with the PSOB Office later than one year after the date of the final agency determination of the claim.
(1) The nature of the services provided by the petitioner;
(2) The complexity of the claim;
(3) The level of skill and competence required to provide the petitioner's services;
(4) The amount of time spent on the claim by the petitioner;
(5) The results achieved as a function of the petitioner's services;
(6) The level of administrative or judicial review to which the claim was pursued and the point at which the petitioner entered the proceedings;
(7) The ordinary, usual, or customary fee charged by other persons (and by the petitioner) for services of a similar nature; and
(8) The amount authorized by the PSOB Office in similar cases.
(d) No amount shall be authorized under paragraph (a) of this section for -
(1) Any stipulated-, percentage-, or contingency fee;
(2) Services at a rate in excess of that specified in 5 U.S.C. 504(b)(1)(A)(ii) (Equal Access to Justice Act); or
(3) Services provided in connection with -
(i) Obtaining or providing evidence or information previously obtained by the PSOB determining official;
(ii) Preparing the petition; or
(iii) Explaining or delivering an approved claim to the claimant.
(e) Upon a petitioner's failure (without reasonable justification or excuse) to pursue in timely fashion his filed petition under paragraph (a) of this section, the Director may, at his discretion, deem the same to be abandoned, as though never filed. Not less than thirty-three days prior thereto, the PSOB Office shall serve the petitioner and the claimant with notice of the Director's intention to exercise such discretion.
(f) Upon its authorizing or not authorizing the payment of any amount under paragraph (a) of this section, the PSOB Office shall serve notice of the same upon the claimant and the petitioner. Such notice shall specify the amount, if any, the petitioner is authorized to charge the claimant and the basis of the authorization.
(g) No agreement for representative services in connection with a claim shall be valid if the agreement provides for any consideration other than under this section. A person's receipt of consideration for such services other than under this section may, among other things, be the subject of referral by BJA to appropriate professional, administrative, disciplinary, or other legal authorities.
Title 28 published on 16-Jun-2018 03:55
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 28 CFR Part 32 after this date.