28 CFR 541.50 - Release from a control unit.
(a) Only the Executive Panel may release an inmate from a control unit. The following factors are considered in the evaluation of an inmate's readiness for release from a control unit:
(1) Relationship with other inmates and staff members, which demonstrates that the inmate is able to function in a less restrictive environment without posing a threat to others or to the orderly operation of the institution;
(2) Involvement in work and recreational activities and assignments;
(3) Adherence to institution guidelines and Bureau of Prisons rules and policy;
(4) Personal grooming and cleanliness; and
(5) Quarters sanitation.
(b) An inmate released from a control unit may be returned:
(1) To the institution from which the inmate was originally transferred;
(2) To another federal or non-federal institution; or
(3) Into the general population of the institution which has a control unit.